Chapter Twelve: The First Match

Holly

Three days later, we're standing at the school's auditorium. All of the chairs were removed, and a makeshift boxing ring was erected at the center of the space.

It's the day of the duels.

Hindi ko alam kung anong mararamdaman ko. I have been with these people for more than a week now, and I have already been acquainted with most of them. The thought of fighting against them seems horrible.

I don't mind being paired up with Max or his girlfriend, though. Gusto kong makaganti sa mga pang-aasar nila kina Jared at Ephraim. I don't mind Rico as an opponent, as well. Rico is a big man, with bulging arms and a towering body. He is Max's friend, if you can call him that. He's more of a servant, if you'd ask me. Always on Max's tail, following his every orders with a grin on his face.

Oh, how gladly would I be to wipe that grin off.

Jared walks up to me, wrapping a strip of cloth on his right hand. "How are you feeling?" he asks. I notice that he trimmed both sides of his hair, keeping the top part long enough to fall over his eyes.

"Ayos lang ako," I answer. "You had a haircut."

He grins. "Yeah, you've noticed. Tinulungan ako ni Kenneth kagabi. Hindi na kasi ako komportable sa buhok ko dahil tumutusok na sa loob ng tenga ko."

Kenneth. Naaalala ko 'yung nakita ko tatlong gabi na ang nakalilipas. I'm happy for him and Kenji, but I admit I was kind of disappointed when I saw them there. I was expecting something, anything that might gain us some information about the Institute. Akala ko ay may kung anong nakatago sa lumang classroom na iyon.

Still, it's not impossible. There's only one building in this school, and every classroom is converted to be useful for the Institute's cause. So far, 'yung luma at nag-iisang classroom lang na iyon ang nakita ko na hindi ginagamit.

Hindi ginagamit, o hindi lang pwedeng pumasok ang mga tao doon dahil may importanteng bagay na nakatago sa loob? I have to find a way to get inside that classroom. Until I know for sure that something is hidden there, I won't tell Jared about it. I want him to be focused on finding a way to talk to the President.

I look up at him, returning his smile. "Your new haircut suits you."

Jared's grin widens, before he turns to the boxing ring in front of us. Other trainees are standing around it as well, sparring with each other to prepare for the duel later. I spot Max, Kris and Rico on the other side of the ring, sneering at us. I ignore them and turn to Ephraim, who is walking towards us.

"What's up?" Jared asks him.

"Nervous," Ephraim answers honestly. "Paano kaya pinili nila Sgt. Agustin 'yung pairing? I mean, they won't pair the weak ones with the strong ones, right?"

Someone lets out a chuckle behind us. "That's exactly what they did."

We turn around and see Raf leaning against the wall. He's a few years older than us, with an easy smile and a handsome face. Siya ang nakakuha ng pinakamataas na grado sa combat training namin.

"What do you mean?" tanong ko.

"That's what they did. They paired the weak ones with the strong ones. Or, at least, according to Max and his girlfriend. Narinig ko sila na nag-uusap tungkol doon kanina."

I almost dismissed the idea, but I suddenly remember that Sgt. Agustin is very fond of Max. She treats him like he's her favorite student. Hindi imposible na sinabi na sa kanya ni Sgt. Agustin ang mga pairings.