Chapter Forty-Two: The Truth

Holly

The President continues to pace back and forth, as if he can't contain his excitement to tell his story.

This is it. This is the moment we've been waiting for. We will finally know the truth about the extra-terrestrial beings, and their alliance with our own government.

Or will it really be the truth? Who knows what kind of lies this man would tell us. His brain is clearly not working properly for him to act this way.

"I've been wanting to tell this to someone," he says, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "But I have to keep everyone in the dark, even my soldiers. Mabuti na lang at nahuli na namin kayo."

Nagkatinginan kami ni Felicity. Her eyes are swollen and there are dark bruises underneath them. She'd been crying, that's for sure. What happened during their captivity that made her cry so much?

I wish I could see the others, as well. Ngayon ko lang napagtanto kung gaano ako kasabik na muli silang makita. They've been with me when I thought I was alone, and stayed with me ever since. Until we got captured by the President's soldiers.

Kailangan kong malaman na maayos rin ang lagay nina Andre, Pauline at Ian. Iyon lang ang tanging paraan para kahit papaano ay gumaan ang pakiramdam ko.

The President speaks again, and my attention quickly snaps to him. He stops walking and instead staring at the cell next to me--to Raf.

"You're lucky to be here, young man," he says. "You aren't a part of their original group. But since you're already here, I might as well let you hear the story. You won't be able to get out of here alive, anyway."

Ngayon ko lang napagtanto--hindi kasama si Raf sa mga plano ng Presidente at ng mga extra-terrestrial beings. Like Pauline, he is an expendable variable. The President can choose to eliminate them anytime he wants.

Napalunok ako. Natatakot ako sa pwede nilang sapitin. Kailangan naming makaisip ng paraan kung paano kami makakalabas dito sa lalong madaling panahon. If only I could talk to Jared right now... I'm sure we'll find a way to get out of here.

"I knew something was wrong when a young girl visited me in Malacanan, claiming that she's from another planet in a different galaxy, warning me that an attack in the form of a strange virus will hit the Earth soon." The President's voice turns solemn as he recalls the events that had started it all.

By the way he looks around, with loss shining in his eyes and his voice somber, you could've thought that he's telling a sad story based on his own experience of hardships and unending trials.

He continues his recollection, and as he does so, his voice slowly changes into something that fits his character more: cold and manipulative.

"That's why I formed up a team of scientists to come up with a vaccine of some sorts to combat the effects of the said virus. Everything was working perfectly-well, when another representative of extra-terrestrial beings came to see me.

"He was a man--about my age. And there was something sophisticated with the way he spoke, the way he laid out his offer that made it impossible for me to decline. He said that he could make me the most powerful human in the world, if only I could follow what he tells me to do."

He laughs, and the sound reverberates all over the place.

"You see, tao lang din naman ako. Natutukso. Sino ba naman ang tatanggi kapag inalok ka ng ganoon? I don't have to do anything heavy, really. Hindi ko kailangang makipaglaban ng pisikal, hindi ko rin kailangan na gamitin ang utak ko para bumuo ng plano. No, what I only had to do, is to let them take over."