Chapter Two: Playing Along

Jared

"The what?" I ask.

"The Institute," the guy answers, making his voice louder.

I cover my mouth with the back of my hand to keep myself from laughing, but a snort comes out. Hindi ito nakaligtas sa pandinig nu'ng lalaki. He gives me a withering look, his eyebrows raised.

"Anong nakakatuwa?" tanong niya.

I clear my throat. "Nothing," I say. "It's just that... Who the hell names an institute, the Institute?"

"Oh, I don't know," he answers sarcastically. "Maybe you should ask the President himself." Umiling siya at hinawakan 'yung doorknob ng katabing pinto ng classroom na pinanggalingan namin kanina. Bago niya iyon buksan, lumingon muna siya sa akin.

"You'll meet him soon."

I give him a confused look. "Wait... What?"

Bago ko pa maitanong kung sino 'yung tinutukoy niyang President, binuksan na niya iyong pintuan. A classroom turned hospital room greets me, identical to the one I've been in. Kaagad kong nakita si Holly na nakahiga sa isang kama.

She's unconscious, with tubes piercing her skin. Mabilis akong naglakad papalapit sa kanya. Upon closer look, her frame looks thinner, her skin pale, her hair longer.

"How long have I been unconscious?" tanong ko sa lalaki.

"A week," he answers, walking towards me. "Kulang ka sa tulog at kain, at nakitaan rin kita ng signs of stress. Normal lang ang mahaba mong pagtulog. It was your body's way of recovering."

I curse under my breath. Isang linggo na pala akong natutulog. Isang linggong nakahiga sa kama, habang 'yung mga kasama ko...

Nasaan na kaya sila ngayon? Maayos kaya ang lagay nila? Ugh. I feel useless.

"What about her?" tanong ko, sabay turo kay Holly. "Why isn't she waking up?"

"I can't really answer that. Hindi ko kayang i-determine kung kailan babalik ang consciousness ng isang tao." He touches a lock of Holly's hair, and I suddenly have the urge to smack his hand away. "I guess we just have to wait."

Tiningnan ko siya nang masama. "Bakit niyo ba kasi kami hinuli? Sinira niyo 'yung mga plano namin. We're so close on finding the answers to our questions, then you came. You ruined everything."

"You have to believe me, we aren't the bad guys here," he explains, his eyes tired and weary. "We were just trying to save you... from them."

"Them?" I look at him, confused. "What do you mean?"

He opens his mouth to speak, pero biglang may nagsalita sa likuran namin.
"The extra terrestrial beings."

We both look behind us, to the man who just stepped inside the room. He is in his 60s, wearing a checkered polo shirt, jeans, and sneakers.

"Welcome to the Institute, Mr. Jared Caparas," he says, smiling broadly at me. I've seen that smile before, in posters and newspapers and TV shows. He is the most important person in the whole country.

He is Arthur Alcantara, the eighteenth President of the Philippines.

Bigla akong nakaramdam ng matinding galit. Here is the person who betrayed the entirety of our countrymen, the man who conspired with the extra-terrestrial beings, alive and in flesh. I should be killing him right now.