Chapter Thirty-Three: Clash, Part Two

Holly

"Holly, I'm warning you," Raf says warily. "Do not do anything stupid. Hindi lang ikaw ang pwedeng mapahamak, pati na rin si Jared."

"What am I supposed to do?" I ask desperately. I wipe my face using both of my hands and sigh in exasperation. "I can't just stand here while Jared gets butchered inside that boxing ring."

"He won't get butchered, trust me." Raf puts a hand on my shoulder, a futile attempt to calm me down.

I'm already starting to draw attention, because of my heavy breathing and slightly louder-than-normal voice. I try to calm myself down as I notice Max, already making his way towards us.

I hear Raf mutter oh, shit under his breath as he notices Max approaching.

"May problema ba dito?" maangas na tanong niya sa amin nang makalapit siya. The room is almost packed, and many eyes are staring at us now. Every word that comes out of our mouths can be heard by the people around us.

"Wala naman," maangas rin na tugon ni Raf. "Holly's just a little nervous for Jared, that's all."

Tiningnan siya ng masama ni Max. "Hindi naman ikaw ang tinatanong ko."

Minabuti ko nang makisingit sa usapan nila, dahil baka kung ano pa ang mangyari. This is my fault anyway. I'm letting my emotions get the best of me.

"Okay lang ako," I inform Max. "Tama si Raf. Kinakabahan lang ako para kay Jared."

As soon as his name leaves my mouth, I look towards him, still standing inside the boxing ring. He meets my gaze this time, and then I see it. The look in his eyes, telling me to trust him. Letting me know that he'll be fine.

A calm settles within me, calming my panic down, clearing my mind and lifting the burden in my chest. Bakit ba kasi hindi ko magawang magtiwala sa kanya ngayon? That's what I've been doing since we met, right? He saved me multiple times, and I'm certain that he can also save himself.

"Ayos lang talaga ako," pag-uulit ko kay Max. Nginitian naman niya ako ng nakakaloko.

"You know, it's actually right to fear for Jared's safety," he mocks. Nang hindi ako sumagot ay nagpatuloy siya. "I mean, we can never know what might happen."

And with that, he walks away from us, whistling. Alam ko na tinatakot niya lang ako at hindi dapat ako magpadala sa mga salita niya. But the urge to smack him in the face is so strong, I have to grab on to Raf's arm to stop myself.

"That asshole," I seeth. "I'm going to kill him."

"He's gone," Raf informs me. "You can let go of my arm now. It kinda hurts."

Kaagad ko siyang binitiwan. Masyado palang napahigpit ang hawak ko sa kanya dahil sa galit ko kay Max.

"Once you hear the bell, the match will begin," Sgt. Agustin announces to the participants, getting my attention. She then looks at the huge grandfather clock at the corner of the room.

We all wait, anxious for the clock to strike two. Then it happens.

The sound of the bell reverberates on the entire room, making everyone shut their mouths. All of our eyes are trained on the participants at the boxing ring, waiting for someone to make the first move.

The participants are looking at each other, their faces devoid of any emotions. Except for Ephraim, who looks like he's about to vomit.

No one moved during the first few seconds.

And then chaos erupted.

Jared's opponents quickly attack--towards him and Ephraim.

My heart skips a beat. Then I remember what Max told me just a few minutes ago. When my eyes find him standing beside Sgt. Agustin, staring intently at the battle with a huge grin, I quickly realized something.

He knows about today's challenge even before it was announced. And he told his minions about it.

This is a planned attack. A way to get back at Jared.

But why?

I turn to Raf.

"We have to help them," I say, unable to look at the boxing ring. I can only hear Jared and Ephraim's grunts as they take four enemies at once. "Raf, we have to help them."

Raf looks at me, and for a moment there's pity shining in his eyes. Then his expression hardens.

"We can't," he declares.

I take a deep breath, trying to contain my emotions. Anger and panic are quickly taking control over my body, and I can't let them cloud my mind as well. Now's not the right time to have a breakdown.

I hate myself for letting my emotions control my actions.

"Bakit?" tanong ko kay Raf. "Are you one of them, too? Tama nga ang hinala ko noong una pa lang. Hindi ka nga talaga mapagkakatiwalaan."

Raf shakes his head furiously. "I'm not one of them. I never was, and I never will. I would never have a conversation with Max, let alone follow his instructions."

"Then why are you refusing to help me save Jared and Ephraim?"

"Because it's too dangerous," he snaps. He looks around as he realizes how loud his voice is, then speaks to me again. This time, in a more hushed tone. "I can't put you in a dangerous situation. We're practically surrounded by Max's goons here."

Muli akong huminga nang malalim. It's getting harder and harder to breathe, with panic seizing my chest.

"Anong gagawin natin? We can't just let them fight." Umiling-iling ako habang iniisip ang mga bagay na posibleng mangyari. Ephraim's mangled body, his bones broken. Jared's almost-unrecognizable face, his body full of cuts and bruises.

Napahawak ako sa ulo ko. No, this needs to stop.

"Holly, listen to me." Raf grips both of my shoulders and brings his face close to mine. I look into his eyes and I'm surprised to see panic shining there. "Sgt. Agustin won't let Jared and Ephraim die. Not without facing the wrath of the entire institute..."

He keeps saying something to me, but I can't understand his words anymore. My head starts spinning and my vision blurries. My knees buckle and I hold on to Raf's arms for support.

I can't breathe. I can't breathe.

"Holly, what's wrong?" I hear Raf's voice but somehow, he sounds so far away. "Holly, oh God. Holly, calm down."

With my panic-induced mind, my eyes automatically travel to the boxing ring, where Jared and Ephraim are still fighting.

Before I lose consciousness, the last thing I see is Ephraim lying motionless on the ground, and Jared being punched by multiple guys all at once.