019

Isi pushed her way through the crowd of people towards the boats

Isi pushed her way through the crowd of people towards the boats. Bjorn was returning to the Mediterranean, along with Halfdan. Leaving Ivar in charge of the army, which honestly scared Isi.

As she reached the front, her eyes met with the tall body of her oldest brother. Saying his goodbyes to his other siblings, all except Ivar, who Isi guessed never wished to say farewell.

A smile grew on Bjorns face as he seen Isi approach, immediately wrapping his arms tightly around her small figure. She was still grieving, that he was certain of. Leaving her with Ivar was something he never wished to do, but exploring was his passion, he believed she would be able to take care of herself. After all she had taken over as best shield maiden, much to his disagreement.

"You will take care of yourself won't you? I do not want to lose another brother" she spoke pulling away to look up to him.

He let out a small laugh, "I will return to you one day dear sister, whenever the gods allow me to" he smiled, placing a gentle kiss onto her head before climbing into the boat along with Halfdan.

Upon turning back, Isi spotted Ubbe standing alone on the side of the banking. Her brows knotted, Ubbe wasn't usually alone, Hvitisitk would always be with him. She had noticed that through the years, the pair was like twins, they were inseparable at the best of times.

Confusion, Isi slowly approached him, her eyes searching for Hvitsirk but to no avail. He wasn't in sight. Neither was Ivar, Isi only assumed they were together somewhere.

"Somethings troubling you brother" she spoke, placing a hand onto his shoulder. Dark met with light as the pairs eyes met with each other's.

"I do not know what to do with my life in this part of my journey" he sighed, looking out to the boats sailing down the small river.

Isi couldn't help but understand how he felt. She felt the same. What would become of them now? Where would the gods lead them next? One thing Isi knew, was that it wasn't over with her just yet. The gods still had things in store for her. That she was certain of.

"Ivar believes that we should continue to raid. But our father wanted more then to raid, you know that" Ubbe continued, the boats now disappearing into the distance.

"Ivar is not fit to rule Ubbe, he killed Sigurd. What makes you think he wouldn't kill us?" She asked.

Ubbe sighed, debating on the right way to answer. "I have no doubts that he will kill us Isi" he responded, "however I would like a reasonable life before that day comes"

Isi opened her mouth to speak but immediately closed it again once Hvitsirk approached them, Ivar crawling behind him. The siblings turned to face them, confused why they would chose to come now, when the boats had left moments before.

"We are not finished with goodbyes just yet" Hvitsirk spoke up, draping an arm over the girl. He lead them down river, towards another boat that was currently being loaded.

"Your planning to leave and not telling us Floki huh?" Ubbe spoke up, the tall man walking back and forth towards the boat. Looking more closely Isi was shocked to see that it was in fact Floki.

"I wanted to spare you the trouble of trying to stop me" he answered, climbing into the boat and placing down a crate with a raven inside. The bird making horrible noises.

"But we will anyway" Isi added, Floki turning to her while he leaned on the pillar in the middle of the boat. He could see the hurt in her eyes, he had been there for the girl when Ragnar wasn't, he practically fathered her.

"You can't" he said cockily, "so let us just say farewell properly instead" he had now climbed out from the boat and began walking towards the group of Lothbrok siblings.

"Where are you going?" Hvitsirk asked.

"Wherever the gods will take me, but as long as I live and breathe. You, the children of Ragnar Lothbrok will always be in my heart" he answered plainly.

Each sibling took turns to bid farewell to a dear friend, though they never wished to. Ubbe told him how he was an excellent boat builder, that he would be the best the world would have. Hvitsirk told him how he was loved by the gods, that they would help him on his journey.

Finally it was time for Isi to say yet another goodbye to a loved one. She didn't understand why they all had to leave, everyone had ambitions, dreams, desires, she knew that much. As long as she wasn't left alone in the end, she wouldn't complain.

"We shall miss you Floki, may the gods take care of you" she spoke softly, embracing the man in a long hug. He did not reply, she never expected him to, he hadn't replied to her brothers so she would be no different.

He pulled away and looked down towards Ivar, who sat on a rock at the legs of Isi. The two youngest siblings would be the ones to miss him the most, he was the man to raise them after all. Ragnar singled Ivar out because of his deformity, and he was never around to meet his only daughter, Floki was left to pick up the pieces.

After moments of awkward silence Ivar finally spoke up, "you nuck-kneed fool, stay we need you just as much as our father needed you but instead you chose to run away you coward"

"Stand up and say that to my face" Floki replied with a small laugh. To Isi's surprise Ivar didn't get angry, no, instead he seemed to get upset.

The siblings walked down the small banking, many of their warriors stood alongside them, chanting to the man rowing down the water. Isi stood beside her brothers, listening to them join the chants.

The girl pulled the bow from her shoulder, along with an arrow and held them tightly in her hand. Closing one eyes to get a better look at the target she was aiming for, Isi pulled the bow up to her face. Letting out a breath she finally released it, the arrow quickly landing in the pillar in the centre of the boat.

She wanted him to have something to remember her by, to remember where he came from. Isi had noticed a pattern in the last few days, her family seemed to be leaving her slowly.

In the end she would be alone. And that, frightened her more then Ivar did.