021

The day had come for Isi and her brothers attack on York

The day had come for Isi and her brothers attack on York. Their army was large enough to take over the small city, though Isi hadn't quite forgiven her brother for killing those children.

Being closer to Ubbe the past few days, Isi joined him in the first part of their attack. Much to Hvitisirks disagreement, claiming she would be safer with the larger half of the army.

Gripping onto the side of the wall, Isi used all of her upper body strength to pull herself up the wall. Cutting her palms on the sharp rock a number of times.

Her path was blocked by one of York's soldiers, aiming an arrow straight at her. With quick reflexes she took hold of the axe tightly held in her belt and one handily attacks the soldier. The blade of her axe disappearing into his chest, dark thick blood spilling from his lips. His body fell from the edge of the wall, almost causing the girl to fall with him, but thankfully Isi regained her balance before pulling herself over the wall.

With the loss of her axe, the young warrior only had use of her sword and shield as she fought her way through the city. Bodies dropping at their feet, sprays of blood soaking the north men's faces with each kill.

"Here" Isi turned immediately to see her older brother Ubbe throwing her his axe.

"Thanks" she replied slightly breathlessly, catching the weapon mid-air by the handle. She watched Ubbe pull a second axe from a soldiers corpse before joining her in the fight.

Opening the large wooden doors of the city, Isi could see the evil smirks of her other brothers as they entered on Ivars chariot. Ready to shed blood.

The fight continued, Isi joining Hvitisirk on the battlefield. A soldier headed straight towards her, using her shield she blocked his attack before digging her blade into his torso, slicing it wide open with a spray of blood. His body falling to the stone below as she moved onto her next victim.

She was onto her 5th body when she came across two soldiers at once. Blocking the attack of one with her shield, his sword clashing with the metal, Isi was unable to block the others attack.

Dragging sword down the first mans body, Isi turned to see that the second attacker was now fighting Hvitisirk. Who stupidly decided not to fight with a a shield.

None of her brothers fought with shields, that she had just realised. They all wanted to live up to their father's expectations.

Both digging their swords into the body of the man, the siblings let out a maniacal laugh. Moving on they got to add a few more bodies to their kill count before meeting with their other siblings at the entrance of a church.

The army paused as they looked at the building looming in front of them. With Vikings believing in their gods such as Thor and Freya, they had no time for Christians. The believers of a fake god, frankly the stories of the Christian god sounded fake and untrue. How could one rise from the dead? once you are dead you are dead. And that is the end of it.

Isi stood with Hvitsirk when Ubbe came to them, connecting his forehead with each of his siblings in a sign of relief. Relief that they had survived the battle. The trio walked through the crowd to the large doors, where the brothers led the way inside.

The girl stared at the many bodies that stood before them, listening to the priest speak in their own language, that Isi had learned to understand throughout the years. She was surprised that they hadn't heard the slaughter that only just occurred on the opposite side of the stone walls.

Though the atmosphere in the room quickly changed as a woman's scream alerted the room of their presence. But it also started a slaughter. Isi never fought, she saw no need to, they were unarmed. She just watched it all unfold in front of her, bodies of women and men falling into a heap on the floor, their blood making a pool beneath them.

Throughout it all she noticed that she wasn't the only one that seemed uncomfortable with killing unarmed people, Ubbe had also lay down his weapons and was standing awkwardly amongst it all. Unlike her other brother who were acting like complete animals, Ivar crawling across the bodies and finishing off the still moving one, while Hvitsirk was taking advantage of a frightened woman in the corner.

Isi's dark eyes fell upon a heart breaking sight -not that all of this was bad- a young boy sat at the entrance of the church, crying his eyes out beside a woman's body. Isi guessed that it was his mother who had been killed, the boy looked no older then 4.

Ubbe watched as his younger sister approached the child, crouching down beside him, pushing his hair from his eyes. He was in awe at the sight of her with a child, though everything around them quickly changed that. The child would be killed once Ivar had found it, that he was sure of.

Isi felt a hand on her upper back, making her jump and pull out her axe threateningly. She lowered it once Ubbe came into view, looking between her and the sniffling boy beside her.

"Go" he told her.

Isi looked up to him with furrowed brows, confused as to what he was telling her.

"Isi go, take the boy and run" he crouched down beside her. "I'll tell our brothers you died in battle....Go have a life before Ivar takes that chance away."

"What about you?" She asked taking the boy into her arms.

"Don't worry about me. Go, but always remember that you are the daughter of Ragnar Lothbrok....the only one. And the greatest shield maiden to ever live" His voice sounded as if he was going to cry. Isi had only ever seen Ivar cry, this was strange.

With Ivars evil laugh in the background, Isi took her brothers advice and chose to flee. Taking the cowards way out. Leaving behind her family, her friends, and the warrior she had grown to like.

She was starting a new.