Chapter 8 - Much ado about Nathan

'Pssst, Will, over here,' a voice hissed as Will began to wake, looking around a busy hotel lobby. It was morning. He'd fallen asleep on the sofa and been there all night. 'Here, Will, over here...' he looked over to a tall plant that stood in a large pot. He could make out Ellie hiding behind it, wearing her trademark cap and sunglasses.

'What's going on, El?' asked Will as he wandered over to her.

'Shh! My Dad's on his way down, I just wanted to give you this,' she said handing his backpack back to him. She looked past Will towards the sofa where he'd previously been sitting.

'You stayed down here all night?'

'No, don't be silly, I just...' Will stopped and also started looking back at the sofa. He could tell it was pretty obvious, 'Yeah, yeah I did...' he scratched the back of his head as he awkwardly confessed.

'I'm so sorry,' Ellie giggled. 'Here's my room key, I've got a meet and greet across town, so I should be gone all morning. Maybe you could wait in my room for me? You might benefit from some real sleep,' she said as she straightened up Will's shirt.

'Ah great, thanks! Yeah sounds like a good idea,' he replied. The elevator pinged as the doors began to open.

'Okay, gotta go, see you later,' whispered Ellie as she began to run towards the hotel entrance. She got halfway across the lobby before turning around to see Will who was cautiously looking for Arthur, trying to avoid bumping into him. Ellie sprinted back over to Will and wrapped her arms around him, kissing him quickly, before anyone could see. 'Okay really got to go, bye,' she excitedly whispered as she ran back towards the door.

Will waved at her with the room key in between his fingers, as another door pinged. He quickly hid behind the plant as he watched Arthur exit the elevator holding his briefcase and marching over to Ellie, who was now waiting for him at the entrance, making out like she'd been stood around for a good ten minutes as she filed her nails.

Will quickly sneaked into the elevator where Arthur had previously exited and rapidly pressed the button for floor 32, anxiously waiting for the doors to close.

***

It seemed that wherever Ellie went, the gorgeous scent that Will had come to love traveled with her. Will led in the centre of her bed, smelling it on her sheets. It gave him a warm feeling, the feeling that Ellie was close, even when she wasn't around. He began to close his eyes, it was easy to admit to himself that Ellie's bed was quite a bit comfier than the sofa in the lobby.

As he was beginning to drift off, his relaxation was interrupted by a pinging noise coming from the nightstand. It was the sound of Ellie's iPad which had lit up with notifications. Will glanced over to it to see if he could switch it off as, in truth, it was interrupting a much-needed nap.

'Hey Ellie, it's Nathan, can we talk about the other night?' A message read, followed by a few more;

'I just want to speak to you? I want to make things right!'

'Ellie? Please speak to me?'

'I thought we felt the same way? Clearly, I was wrong!!'

'Ellie?'

Will looked through the messages as more continued to come through. Nathan? He thought to himself. Surely it wasn't Ellie's ex Nathan Jacobs? Why would he be messaging her? And what does he mean the Other night?!

Will could feel his stomach-turning. Had he been a fool for thinking someone like Ellie could actually love him? Why would she tell him that she did if it wasn't the truth?