Chapter 15 - Will the wise

The bright early morning sunlight was finding its way through the fabric of the drapes in the motel room. Will had been awoken by the sounds of the birds singing from just outside the window. Laying in the bed, he turned onto his side to look at Ellie who was still sleeping. He watched her for a while, deep in thought. What were they actually doing? Where was it that Ellie wanted to go? Did she even know?

Ellie turned to lie on her back, slowly opening her eyes to find Will peering over her. She smiled up at him before sitting up in the bed. 'Morning,' said Will as he grabbed his t-shirt from the floor.

'Hey,' Ellie whispered as she rubbed her eyes, trying to adjust to the bright light. She looked around the motel room, she wasn't accustomed to such settings. It's not that it was an unpleasant room, but it was far from the five-star quality Ellie would usually stay in when away from home. Still, these sorts of places would probably be the last place they would be found in - if anyone came looking.

Both Ellie and Will's bags were packed, ready to move on. Ellie wanted to keep moving, she knew that Arthur would be on the lookout for her.

'Only six missed calls this morning,' she groaned looking at her phone. 'He must be beginning to get the point...'

Will looked down at the floor. He'd been having doubts about them leaving L.A. in the first place, but now, it just felt like they were running away. Could they not have just gone back to being together in secret? Will quite liked it that way, the thrill of avoiding getting caught. Then again, it's quite a difficult task to keep such a big part of a person's life under wraps, especially when that person is a world-famous actor.

'El, I've been thinking...' there was doubt in Will's tone. 'Maybe we should go back to L.A. I mean, what are we actually doing here? Where are we going? I just think you're giving up a lot... you might regret it further down the line?'

'If we go back there, they won't let us be together? You get that right?' Ellie was noticeably annoyed at Will's suggestion. Up to now, she'd thought they were on the same page.

'We managed before? We could always go back to seeing each other secretly? I just don't think this is right, I mean, think about your sister? She must be missing you like crazy? And what about your Dad? I won't lie he scares the shit out of me, but anyone can see he really does care about you?'

Ellie looked down at her feet as she sat on the side of the bed, facing away from Will. She was silent for a moment.

'You sound just like him,' she said quietly before turning round to face Will again. 'You clearly don't realise that I can make decisions for myself...'

'It's not that at all! I know you can. But I won't lie to you... this feels wrong. And if anyone finds out we're together, I could get into a lot of trouble, we both could!' Will protested. He went over to grab his bag which was stationed by the side of an armchair next to the bed.

'If we go back, he'll find you,' Ellie warned, 'he won't allow you to come anywhere near me...'

Will knew the risks, but ever since they'd set off from his apartment over two weeks ago, he'd known that their spontaneous road trip would have to come to an end sometime.

Ellie's phone suddenly lit up with a picture of Arthur. 'Dad calling...' it read on the screen.

'Answer it,' Will advised as Ellie peered down at her phone, 'talk to him. Maybe he'll let us continue to see each other if you agree to go back?'

Ellie slowly swiped the green button to answer the call and held her phone to her ear. She didn't speak but was greeted by her Dad's voice.

'Ellie? Are you there?' Arthur sounded frantic, worried, even a little upset. Ellie had never heard him like that before.