Chapter 12 - Killer robots from Mars

The phone rang for the fifth time. Will felt around his nightstand trying to avoid opening his eyes. Finally, he grabbed it and tapped the answer button.

'Hey, it's 6:30am? What's up?' he said in that frail, I'm still asleep voice.

'Finally! I've been calling you for the past half hour? I managed to get a meeting with Doug! Will, they want to look into developing our script!' crowed an excited Ellie on the phone.

'Holy shit! Seriously? That's awesome! When?' Will instantly sat up in his bed, becoming more awake by the second, feeling choked with excitement as he came to the realisation that his dream may be coming a reality.

'That's the thing, it's today in forty-five minutes, are you good to go?' asked Ellie. She'd been anxiously waiting for Will all morning.

'Yeah sure, I'll get ready and head over there now,' Will almost fell out of bed as he leaped towards his wardrobe to find the nicest possible shirt that wasn't creased.

'Okay, I'll meet you at the front of the studio in ten minutes,' instructed Ellie.

'Ten minutes, perfect,' Will hung up and quickly ran to the bathroom like an excited puppy. As quickly as he could, he straightened his hair and brushed his teeth. He took one look at the shower, there was no time he thought to himself as he smelt his arm.

Jumping into his jeans, Will quickly ran towards his door and out into the hallway. He didn't even reach the exit before he realised that he was forgetting something.

'Crap,' he whispered as he quickly ran back to his apartment like a mad man. A moment later he shot back out of his door holding the script under his arm, checking behind him to make sure no pages had come loose in the hallway.

As he reached the street he power-walked for a few blocks before finally making it to the entrance of the studio.

'Hey,' said Will, slightly out of breath as he met Ellie.

'Where have you been? You said ten minutes, not twenty?' Ellie joked straightening his hair and tidying up his shirt.

'Looks good?' he asked as Ellie applied the finishing touches and taking off her sunglasses.

'Yeah, come on, let's go!' Ellie took Will's hand and guided him towards Stage 7. He realised how he'd missed working at the studio as he looked around at all the people walking across the pathway, from one stage to another. He felt like one or two of them recognised him, probably from the tomato soup incident. He nervously looked around, keeping his head down as much as possible whilst hoping to avoid bumping into Arthur.

A loud sound of gunfire could be heard from inside Stage 7. Ellie signalled to Will to be quiet as they crept along the back wall. The gunfire was part of a scene for Awakening the Undead that was currently being filmed. Ellie and Will stood a few yards behind Doug, who was directing as they watched the rest of the scene play out.

Will stood in amazement for a while. It was still only just hitting him that today could be the day his dream became a reality. He was actually stood on the set of the most-watched TV show in America. Wide-eyed, he gazed around the studio, trying to take everything in.

'How amazing is this?' he whispered to Ellie who was looking far from impressed as she shrugged her shoulders.

'I actually think the writing is getting worse. I don't know how they've done it, but they've actually managed to make it suck even more...' she whispered back to him as she tutted, clearly unimpressed with the scene that was being filmed.

'Hey, Ellie, I thought you weren't filming today? Do I need to call make-up?' a voice whispered as Ellie looked behind her.

'Here on other business today, Ed. Don't worry, thanks!' she replied as Will smiled over his shoulder. Ed took one look at Will and awkwardly smiled back before he wandered back towards the other production crew.