Chapter 30 - The victim

Ellie was emotionless as she sat in the dark LAPD interview room. It hadn't been the first time that she'd found herself sat in that room over the past few days, enduring another of Robert's gruelling interrogations. What more could they want from her? She'd told them her story.

'I hope you understand that we're just trying to help you, Ellie?' asked Robert, slouched back in his chair waiting for Ellie to speak. She hadn't spoken since taking a seat in the interview room, well over an hour ago.

'Nothing?' Robert shook his head as Ellie continued to look at the table, refusing to make eye contact. 'You do realise the reasons why we need to catch Will, don't you? You're a victim, Ellie. Let us help... we can't allow for Mr. Miller to continue to walk free. He's a dangerous individual. We can't risk him abusing any other young girls...'

'Will didn't take advantage of me, or abuse me, or rape me, if that's what you're suggesting?' snapped Ellie.

Robert looked back at her, with a slight grin on his face as if he was proud of himself for finally managing to crack Ellie and make her talk.

'Everything between Will and I was consensual,' she continued.

'But not in the eyes of the law, Miss Greene,'

'What do you want me to say? That I am the innocent abused girl, carrying the baby of my attacker? What are you?A cop or a reporter?'

Robert didn't answer for a brief moment. He wanted to see how much Ellie was willing to say before interrupting her.

'I've told you a million times, my baby was conceived in a town just outside Boston, Massachusetts, where I think you'll find the law states differently, detective...'

'Is that so?' jeered Robert. 'The thing is Miss Greene, a close friend of yours, Katie Turnbull...'

'She's not my friend...' blurted Ellie, the anger returning to her expression when she heard Katie's name.

'Well, friend or not, Miss Turnbull seems to have a very different version of events. Her statement to us suggests that your Boston story is merely that... a story. A plan to save Mr. Miller from any jail time based on a technicality. She claims you told her this yourself. The last time you where in Boston was six weeks ago, and your pregnancy is further along than that. In Miss Turnbull's statement, she claims that you found out you were pregnant in her presence, before you even went to Boston. She claims you were, indeed, in the state of California at the time...'

'That's irrelevant? Finding out your pregnant is very different from actually getting pregnant you know? Also, Katie is full of shit! It's her word against mine,' cackled Ellie, 'she and my brother conspired against me!'

'And why would they do that, Ellie? After all what business is of theirs?'

'I don't know! It seems that Tom blames me for our Mom leaving us - and I guess Katie was only ever after the lead part in the show. She's been after it for years, everyone knows it. She must have seen this as an opportunity to get me out of the picture, so she can take over the lead role from me - Katie is a liar. They both are...'

'Forgive me, Miss Greene, But I think there may be some truth into Katie's story,' Robert opened the brown folder which had been providing comfort for his elbow up to now. He opened it, not taking his eyes of Ellie, and pulled out a small evidence bag before sliding it towards her.

'This was provided to us by Miss Turnbull. It's a receipt for a pregnancy test, from a store, just a few blocks away from the movie studio's where you'd been working that day. It has your credit card details listed there, Miss Greene...'

'This is not significant evidence against my client,' interjected Ellie's lawyer who'd not spoken too much up to now, 'this could have been purchased for anyone. There is no evidence here that presents any indication that my client purchased this product for herself,' he continued, 'and as my client stated previously, finding out your pregnant is a completely different thing. This evidence is irrelevant...'