Not Special

Takuma knows she is not a special child neither does she have any special power. I would know if i have some powers, would I not? She also knows that her ability to kill the beast was not born out of a special power, but she knew something magical happened at that moment. However, everyone in the clan had decided to associate her with the Star Child old Hermit at the edge of the village always croon about and treat her like she was special. Takuma had tried several times to tell the townfolks that she is not the star child, but they all chuck it down to her being humble. Even her friends were somehow in reverence of her, that is, those that are not envious. Takuma loves the outdoor a great deal. She enjoys gusting with her friends and having fun, now she could not leave the house without someone being too nice to her or making reference to her being the star child. It is a case of a game too much for Takuma. She just wanted things to be normal. not that she didn't like the idea of killing the beast, but she did not want the fame that came with it. She wanted her normal life back and she is tired of telling people to treat her like they normally did.

Just the day before, a message came that the King seeks her audience. The King of the whole true seeks to have an audience with a commoner like her. That alone gave Takuma something to worry about, she even dreaded what the King had to say. She dreaded the encounter as a whole because she knows it has to do about the beast and the star child talk that is flying around the town.

"What are you still moaning about, Takuma. You should be before the King already". That's my mum. She is taking anything in stride. She doesn't exactly believe I have any special powers, but then what could she do?

"Mum, I don't want to go!" I said before moaning into my pillow.

"How dare you! You want to defile the King. You won't put me to shame. If you don't come out in the next two seconds, I am going to drag you to the King's house by the ear. Sully child tht you are".

"No need for violence, I will be out in a minute". That woman won't leave me be, sides, I cannot defy the King like she said. Let's get this over and done with. I put on a cloak and stole out of the house. The King's house is next to the town square. I made my way hastily, hiding my face inside my cloak hood. Now is not the time for chit chat, the King awaits.

The King's guard announced my appearance when I got there. When the King approved, I was ordered to go in. The Elders were seated as well as the King. I felt so shy. This is the first time I am meeting the King this close. I bowed my head and said my greetings.

"Good day, my Lord and Elders".

"You are welcome, my child. You may stand". The King said.

"Thank you, my Lord". I replied.

"Now, tell me what happened on the day of the Corale Festival. Every detail". The King demanded.

I told the King everything i could remember, from how I was playing with my friends, to the commotion and how I was deceived into going into the derelict house. I told the King about the beast and how it was killed. Everyone listened through my narration, not one of them interrupted. When I was done, the King spoke.

"You did well, my dear".

"Thank you, my Lord". I replied. My voice was surprisingly calm.

"What do you think about the Militia?" Militia? What does that have to do with anything? I gulped.

"I think the Militia is nice, my Lord. I was thinking of applying this year, infact". The words were out of my mouths before I knew it. My eyes bulged to the size of a saucer. I feverently resisted the urge to clamp my hands on my mouth. The King must have seen my expression because he chuckled.

"There is no need to fear, my dear. You will be good for the Militia. However, you won't have to take the exam. I believe you have proven yourself enough". I did the saucer thing again with my eyes. The King laughed. I was humbled, automatic entry into the Militia. awesome, wait until my friends hear this. This is not the place to jubilate. But then, would it be fair to take the offer when everyone else would be taking the exam soon. What is people starts to talk. I should refuse the offer, it's the best thing to do.

"Thank you, my Lord. I am most grateful. But I would like to take the test. People would....".

"...Thank you for saving their lives and tell you it's a well deserving gift. You earned it girl. Enjoy it". I could not exactly refuse the King so I nodded.

"I am most grateful, my Lord".

"Meet Captain Jia, later. I have spoken to him. He will see to your training. Stay safe, my child".

"Thank you, my Lord". I bowed and left the King's presence. As soon as I left the King's house, I ran straight to my house none stop. Wait, what? Did I just get an automatic entrance into the Clan's Militia? The most competitive exam of the year. Wow. This situation does have it's perks.