04 • Moves

Chapter Song: Sway by The Pussycat Dolls

"I mean...I," West sputtered. His cheeks flushing pink.

"It was a joke. I'm not going to take my shirt off."

"Right. Okay, good."

I couldn't stop grinning. There was something so satisfying about being the reason for his pink flush. I managed to scrub the last of the chocolate milk from his jacket and tossed it over the back of a dining chair to dry.

The nervous grin West had been wearing faltered, and a line appeared between his brows. "Thank you, Stella."

"You're welcome."

I unbuttoned the top buttons of my shirt, then looked up at West, who quickly turned around.

Another unavoidable grin spread across my face. I lifted the stained fabric away from my skin and blotted at it with tonic water.

"I like that necklace you're wearing," West said. His back still turned. Hands buried in his pockets. "Was it a gift from your boyfriend?"

I let out a little chuckle, fingers tracing the golden rose strung around my neck. "My mother gave it to me. My middle name is Rose."

Why did I tell him that?

"And no," I added. Staring at his muscled back. "I don't have a boyfriend."

Or that?

West went quiet, foot tapping as he waited for me.

I finished blotting the last of the stain out of my thin cotton blouse, which was now basically see-through. A huge water mark replacing the chocolate milk.

I let out a sigh. Well, at least my bra isn't hot pink. "You can turn around."

West peeked over his shoulder, his gaze momentarily dropping to my...shirt. Grinning like a fox.

"What?" I asked. Tone sharp.

West raked long fingers through his hair. "I think you might want to let that dry before you go back out on the Lawn with your oyster tray."

"Is that so?"

"Absolutely," West said. "I mean, there are tons of guys out there that are less trustworthy and chivalrous than me. And I mean...you know..."

"You can see my bra?" I added.

"I'm not looking out of respect, so I wouldn't know." His grin was wide, and I couldn't help but smile back at him.

I folded my arms across my chest. "I see. So this is you being chivalrous?" He nodded, and I shook my head. "Alright, fine. We can air dry together."

West curled his fingers around his chin and gave me an appraising look. "You're not from around here, are you?"