13 • Apologies

Everything was a shade of Stella

Since first seeing her from across the stage, I'd been running on some crazy adrenaline high. She was in my arms. Her leg was around my waist. I wanted to kiss her so bad I could taste it.

Then this swell of hurt and pain flashed in her eyes, and she slapped me.

"I've been burned by you before."

My stomach tied itself in a knot. I eased Stella out of the dip and set her carefully back on her feet.

She hated me. The realization came as sharp as the point of a knife.

"Way to go off-script," Stella angrily whispered once she had smooth back her long hair. "Do you turn everything into a dance?"

She was so damn beautiful. Even with her nose scrunched like that, it was hard to concentrate. I wanted to run my finger between her eyebrows and smooth it out.

"Only with you."

Stella rolled her eyes, but it was true.

When I finally found the power to stop staring blankly at her, I glanced at the directors, unsure what to make of their reaction.

Their faces were hidden behind raised hands. Heads pushed together in whispered conversation.

"You were amazing, by the way," I whispered. Unable to contain the compliment.

Stella refused to meet my eye or acknowledge she even heard me, standing still as calm water.

"That was a very," the director paused, giving the two of us guarded smiles, "interesting performance."

Stella didn't respond, so neither did I. Maybe she thought I ruined her audition.

As if I could do anything more to hurt this girl.

"Miss LaFever, you have quite an impressive CV. I happen to know Tabitha Reins very well. She's an outstanding choreographer. And I see you've worked with Wren Wright as well. He's one of the best voice coaches in the business."

I shifted uncomfortably beside her.

The director steepled his fingers. "What are your acting goals, Miss LaFever?"

Stella pressed her lips together and closed her eyes, just for a moment—just long enough for me to wonder what she was thinking. It was like watching a storm cloud settle over pink morning skies. Beautiful, yet foreboding.

"To star on Broadway."

"Hmm," the director mused. "Then why aren't you auditioning for a bigger role in a more prestigious production?"