36 • Songs

Chapter Song: Your Song by Elton John

Wicked was unbelievable.

Let me say that again.

Wicked was un-fucking-believable.

The acting and ambiance of the theatre and the musical score. The neon green lights. I couldn't believe the Idnia Menzel had once walked across this stage. I wished I could rewind the last few hours and watch the show all over again for the first time.

Spencer and I had arrived early enough to take pictures and find our seats before the house lights went down. Every detail drew my attention.

And the way Spencer looked at me when the lights dimmed made me feel like I'd walked into his dirtiest dream. Lip between his teeth and eyes narrowed.

He looked good enough to eat. Dressed in black from head to polished shoe. His jade green eyes, bubble gum pink lips, and flashes of suntanned skin stark against the cut of the suit.

Spencer leaned in and whispered, "I don't think I've ever seen you smile so much. Your dimples are deep enough to drink out of, and I swear you're glowing. It makes me want the back of your knees against my shoulders."

I let out a bubble of laughter. "I forgot you've never seen me fangirl over theatre before."

"I'm sure when I see you on stage, I'll be the one fangirling."

My smile tightened, and my eyes wandered towards the huge clock looming over the stage. There were so many things I needed to say to Spencer. So many truths buried inside me.

This was my opening. I could easily say, oh, by the way, because of some crazy turn of events that I also didn't tell you about, West is playing Lumière.

But admitting hard truths is so much easier inside your head. It's harder to force the truth out, especially when it comes with a complicated backstory like, your best friend is also in love with me and wants me to move to New York with him.

Maybe if I ignored the problem, it would resolve itself. I could tell Spencer I thought I told him about West already. Or I thought he knew.

Or maybe it would be a happy surprise when he saw West on stage.

Yes, a happy surprise we'd all laugh about later.

I could almost imagine it. Spencer chuckling and slapping Joon on the back. Telling him he was proud.

It could be a surprise. I smiled, proud of my cleverness.

"Stella?" Spencer prompted.

"Sorry, I was just lost in thought. But, my role is tiny. Blanca is the one to blush over," I told Spencer. "She plays an amazing Belle."