30 • Offers

Chapter Song: You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift

I'd been through some serious shit in my life—but watching the girl of my dreams head up to Adrift's rooftop with my best friend was currently taking up all my brain space.

And that kiss—that easy little kiss.

Watching Spencer kiss Stella had invited jealousy in. I shouldn't have danced with her, that had been too bold, but I couldn't help it. I wanted Spencer to see that there was something between us. It wasn't all in my head.

Someone pulled out the barstool beside me and took a seat. By the heavy-handed scent of perfume, I knew it was a chick, but I wasn't interested.

"We need to talk."

My eyes narrowed to angry slits at the sound of her voice. As if this night could get any worse.

Lieutenant Courtney Raske, my dad's flag aid and fuck buddy. Her eyes flicked over me before sliding back to the bartender.

Every muscle in my body tensed.

"What can I get you?"

"Vodka cranberry." She flipped blond curls over her shoulder. "And another whiskey tonic for this one."

I inched away from her. "What do you want, Raske?"

"What everyone wants," she said casually. "To be successful."

I rolled my eyes. "Fucking my father all the way to the top, are you?"

The bartender set down our drinks, and Raske took a swig. "This morning wasn't what you think. It was an accident."

"Oh really? How do you accidentally have sex with someone?

Raske laughed at that. "Do you hear how naive you sound? Wake up, West. People do stupid shit. Blame it on hormones and opportunity.  Or blame it on catching feelings for someone you're not supposed to. It's called being an adult. Life is messy."

I shook my head. "That's pathetic."

"You're telling me you've never wanted someone you shouldn't? Your friend's hot mom? A teacher? What about a girl with a boyfriend?"

I took a sip of whiskey and tried to ignore the pang of guilt.

"You're making it sound like were a bunch of animals who have no control over desire, which were not. That's not what I was taught growing up. By him."