19 • Actions

Chapter song: Invisible String by Taylor Swift

The following morning I called Mr. Godfrey and explained that I wouldn't be at rehearsal. He was more than understanding—which came as a relief.

I thought about calling my mom after I'd hung up with Mr. Godfrey, but with the three hours time difference and her crazy schedule, I knew there was no way she would be awake this early. So, I sent her a text explaining what had happened and left it at that.

I was surprised when she replied minutes later.

Mom: oh no! I hope she's doing better! Tell Junie and Lee I send my love. Just keep smiling, Stella Rose! It will all work out in the end.

My mother's text wasn't the only one I'd received. Leona and Graham had both sent messages asking how grandma was doing and if I needed anything.

And then there was Spencer.

Good morning, beautiful. I hope you managed some sleep. I know you've had a long day, but I'd like to make dinner for you tomorrow tonight. Let me do something for you.

I stared down at the screen, thinking about what to say or how to respond. If he'd just sent me a dirty message like normal, I wouldn't be having this problem.

I didn't let people take care of me, and I didn't do sappy. I'd been trained to act and ignore problems and put them in boxes. I wasn't going to cry my eyes out to Spencer over a bowl of pasta because that's not what I did.

My gaze shifted to my grandma—the gentle rise and fall of her chest.

I typed out a quick message to Spencer—thank you for everything you did yesterday. It meant so much to me. But I'm gonna pass on dinner. It's just not the right time. I hope you understand.

I hit send then immediately turned off my phone. I didn't want to see his reply. I didn't want to know what nice or considerate thing he was going to say.

It didn't stop me from feeling guilty as hell.

Spencer wanted to be with me, but I wanted to be with West.

It wasn't long after I'd turned my phone off that Leona and grandpa came up to the hospital with coffee and donuts.

I snagged a Boston Creme and let my grandpa take the chair beside the bed.

"How's she been?" Grandpa asked, setting down his cane and taking a sip of coffee. "Any word from those doctors?"

I gave him the brightest smile I could muster. "The last one that came in said she's stable."