09 • Cheers

Chapter Song: Motive by Ariana Grande

At nine-thirty, Leona and I were winding our way through thick crowds on Bannisters Wharf, searching for a red door tucked into a narrow alleyway.

Leona was dressed in a form-fitting navy blue party dress with a gold zipper running down the middle that hugged her body perfectly. Her hair was curled, and she was wearing a smattering of gold bracelets and hoop earrings.

Even in three-inch black stilettos, Leona managed to walk with grace. More than one head turned to stare as we made our way towards the end of the street.

I had chosen a white frock dress that cascaded down my shoulders and strappy leather wedges.

"This is it right here!" Leona announced, grabbing my arm and tugging me into an alley that I surely would have missed.

A bouncer was standing outside the door wearing a headset, and I had to swallow down my nerves. I'd never been to a place like this before and wasn't sure what to expect.

"Hi, we're guests of Graham McGilvary." Leona pulled me closer to her, and I smiled at the bouncer.

He glanced at his clipboard then said, "Driver's License, please."

I fished mine out of a clutch purse and handed it over. The bouncer checked our names against the list, then pushed open the red door. "Have a good time, ladies."

Leona and I exchanged excited smiles. The pulse of techno music and swirling lights beckoned us inside, and we slipped into a different world.

Adrift wasn't like any club I'd ever been to. Dirty. Sticky. Covered in weird band flyers. No. This place was...expensive.

White marble and sparkling quartz gleamed from every surface, letting the cool blue and purple lights paint dazzling patterns on the walls and floors.

The bar was modern and minimalist in design, and filled with the most gorgeous men and women I'd ever seen. Tanned legs. Sharp haircuts. Designer labels. I tugged at the hem of my dress, feeling way out of my league.

"Leona!" called a voice from the bar. "Over here!"

"It's him!" Leona said in my ear. "God, he looks good enough to eat."

"And so do you," I replied. "Don't forget, goddess energy."

"All day and all night!"

We made our way through the press of bodies and found Graham and Spencer seated at the bar.

When he caught sight of me, Spencer stood up so fast I thought his barstool might topple over.

He looked so much better in a suit than in swim trunks. Crisp white collared shirt open at the throat. Steely blue jacket. Tailored pants.

"Stella," Spencer breathed in my ear as he gave me a one-armed hug. "You look incredible."

I was helpless to stop the army of goosebumps that rose over my skin at his touch, but I didn't want to let my guard down again. Not after what happened with West.

"Here," Graham said, placing two shot glasses in our hands. "To another Rhody summer of fun!"

We lifted our tiny glasses in the air, ringing the crystal together, and I let the sweet drink slide down my throat. It was dangerously smooth and delicious.

Spencer was watching me with a grin he stole from the devil himself.

"Do you ladies wanna dance?"

"Absolutely!" Leona snatched up my hand. "Come on, Stella. Let's show these New England boys how we get down on the west coast."

I didn't know why, but as I followed Leona out to the dance floor, Spencer and Graham on our heels, West's name was echoing inside my head.

And as Spencer's hands found my hips, I realized why. Spencer could dance, but it wasn't like dancing with West.

Not even close.

I tried to settle into his rhythm but was tense and stiff as I moved with him. Watching Leona and Graham with jealous eyes. They were clearly into each other, and before long, Graham's lips were crashing against hers.

It was awkward watching two people make out—even if that person was your best friend.

Spencer brushed back my hair and asked, "Do you want to take a break? Maybe go upstairs and get some air?"

"Sure. That sounds good."

I tapped Leona on the shoulder, not trying to be that friend, but I didn't want her to think I abandoned her.

"We're going to get some air! I'll be back in a bit."

"Touch her, and I'll kill you!" Leona shouted at Spencer, who innocently held up his hands. "Eager, enthusiastic consent. You hear me?"

Heat flushed in my cheeks. "Thanks, Leona. Are you good down here?"

"I'm so good," Leona replied. Her fingers twisting into Graham's messy blond hair.

He wrapped her up in his arms—holding Leona tight as the blue and violet strobe lights circled the dance floor.

Spencer took my hand in his and led me across the club and through a windowless door. There was a flight of steep metal stairs ahead of us. We took them two at a time until reaching a small landing.

We were very much alone in the stairwell, the thud of techno music muffled through insulated walls. I could practically hear my heart thudding in my chest.

"Remember what Leona said," I teased.

"Eager consent," Spencer answered. "With that in mind, I should probably ask if you're afraid of heights."

"No more than anyone else. I mean, it's the fear of falling that scares people, not the view."

Spencer rolled his lips together. Leaning against a door labeled emergency exit. "That might be the most poetic thing I've ever heard."

I snorted out a laugh. "Then you need to get out more. Or read more."

But Spencer wasn't laughing, just grinning back at me. One of his unruly curls had fallen into his face.

"Before I open the door, you should close your eyes," Spencer said. Then quickly added, "That is, if you want to."

I bit my lip, nerves firing in my chest, but let my eyes close. Taking in the sounds and scents floating around me. The scrape of metal over concrete came first, then a gush of fresh salty air. I caught Spencer's notes of vanilla and leather lifting on the breeze.

My hand was back in his as he led me a few careful steps through the door. "Okay, you can open them now."

A/N

I split this chapter in two because it was getting a little long.

If you're interested in what happens on the roof, scroll on!