16 • Beginnings

Chapter Song: Lights Up by Harry Styles

Spencer: I've wanted to bite that lip of yours since we first met

I smiled at Spencer's wake-up text before slipping my phone into my purse and pushing open the door to a conference room inside Salve Regina's auditorium.

Today was my first read through with the cast. My nerves were wound tighter than a music box as I took a seat beside a pretty woman with perfectly glossed lips and shiny auburn hair.

"Who are you?" she asked, flashing a bright smile.

"I'm Stella—or Babette rather."

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Lia. Just one of the girls who fawns over Gaston. It's only a couple of lines, but that's something, right?"

I nodded, trying to return her grin.

"We'll start the read through in just a few minutes!" announced the director. "Until then, could everyone find their name tags?"

Name tags were snatched until a handsome—yet slightly older man—slapped Lumière on his chest. He was tall and lanky and resembled a candlestick.

I grabbed mine and stuck it to my shirt, carefully avoiding his eye.

See, West isn't even here. You knew they wouldn't cast him.

I blew out a little breath, the knot of anxiety in my chest relaxing.

The day passed in a blur of laughter and lines and bursts of song. I was entranced by Blanca—the actress cast as Belle. She was petite and spunky and brought fresh energy to the role.

Afterward, Leona and I did chores around Snug Harbor, then had a lazy night at home with my grandma and grandpa.

"Do you mind if I drop you off tomorrow morning for rehearsal?" Leona asked as we slid beneath the covers after wandering back to the camper. "Graham asked if I could meet him downtown for breakfast at the Yacht Club."

"Wow," I said sleepily. "The Yacht Club. Look at you. This is getting serious."

"The only thing I'm serious about is waffles and maple syrup. And maybe thick sliced bacon."

That night, I dreamed of West. No matter how hard I tried to imagine Spencer's lips or fantasize about the dirty things he'd said, my tired brain always wandered back to West.