22 • Truths

Chapter Song: Running Over by Justin Bieber

His pearl white Aston Martin was only the beginning.

Spencer's family lived in one of the sprawling palatial estates near Castle Hill Inn. We're talking iron gates, lavish gardens, and bubbling fountains.

He smirked at me as we rolled through the gates.

"This is your house?" I asked as we rolled to a stop in front of the biggest home I'd ever seen. I didn't even have the right words to describe it. Stately? Grand? Fucking huge?

Spencer took my hand in his. "Don't think too much about it," he replied. Leading me towards the front steps of  a massive double door entrance. "It's my family home. Generations of Fredricksen's have lived in it. I'm not sure what I did to deserve any of it."

My eyes widened as the door swung open for us, and a man in a tuxedo greeted us.

I was wearing flip flops, a string bikini speckled in beach sand, and a crocheted cover-up. Out of place didn't begin to describe how I felt.

I toed off my sandals before stepping inside.

Spencer watched me with a grin. "You don't have to do that."

"Well, I am."

The man holding the door cleared his throat. "Good evening Master Spencer."

"Turner, this is Stella LaFever." The man smiled warmly at me. "Can you send up dinner to my room? Two plates. And we'll take breakfast in the pool house tomorrow morning."

I looked around the foyer, which was almost too much for me to take in. Marble columns and expensive art and trees planted into the floor. I crossed my arms and turned back to Spencer.

"What time?" the man was asking. Almost bored.

Spencer glanced at me, then said, "Nine."

Nine? Well, he certainly did want to savor dessert.

"Would you like me to tell your mother you won't be joining her for breakfast at the club?"

Spencer's lips went into that cute pucker as he glanced in my direction. "No, I'll do it myself. Thank you, Turner."

Spencer collected my hand and led me across the foyer and up one of the massive spiraling staircases. My head was swiveling around, trying to look at everything.