Epilogue, Part 2

The Newport Daily News

Hometown boy West Tenney to star in Hamilton as the Marquis de Lafayette

Ten copies of the paper were stacked on our kitchen table. We'd been sent papers by every one of our friends, and gossip at the Yacht Club was like wildfire.

I read the brief article beneath West's picture.

After spending five years as a Navy helicopter pilot, the Rhode Island native has landed his first major role as the incorrigible Marquis de Lafayette. Tickets for the show are selling out fast, so reserve your seats now!

I heard Hollands answer the front door and shuffle inside the kitchen. "Miss Stella, a package has arrived for you."

Interested, I passed little Amelia to the nanny and took the box from Hollands.

Inside was an envelope and an edition of The New York Times. Earmarked was a page announcing the newest Broadway cast of Hamilton. And on that page was West's signature.

The envelope contained two tickets to the show and a short note.

I hope you and Spencer can make it. I'd love to see you two again.

—West

I always knew he would make it. He was a natural on stage. He could sing and dance and act. West had it all. The stage and his name in lights.

Even though I never kissed West Tenney—I never found out if that electric snap between us extended past the brush of our hands—I knew that this version of him was the one I wanted preserved for all time. Happy and successful.