07 • Invitations

Chapter song: Cruel Summer by Taylor Swift

I soon discovered that Second Beach was nothing like the beaches back in San Diego. There was no boardwalk. No rows of surf shops or restaurants. No skateboarders.

Instead, grassy sand dunes bordered miles of twisting coastline. It was simple and beautiful, elegant in a way SoCal wasn't.

We set up our cooler and chairs near a game of two-on-two beach volleyball—which was Leona's choice.

"Is there a hottie convention in town?" Leona asked as she rubbed sunscreen on her deeply tanned skin. Side-eyeing the game. "Or do they grow 'em this gorgeous in Rhode Island? The boys here are so clean cut and put together, even in some damn swim trunks."

I shot a glance at the group of muscled guys and caught a few of them staring right back. The one with chocolate curls even gave me a sly wave.

I waved back, and so did Leona, when recognition set in. I'd seen those guys last night at Castle Hill Inn.

Leona tried to act like she didn't see me glaring at her. "Did you set this up?" I asked under my breath. "Did you call the fancy lumberjack?"

My best friend just shrugged. "It's a small town, Stells. Maybe they just happened to show up at the exact same time as us. I mean, crazier things have happened to us."

I let out a groan, pulling my floppy hat down over my eyes.

"Hot, muscled distractions, Stella. This is what our summer is about."

I peered out from behind the brim of my hat. They were cute, but to be honest, they all looked the same—tight, flowered swim trunks in various shades of blue, aviator sunglasses, and washboard abs. I mean, yeah, they looked good, but...before I realized it, I was picturing what West would look like in a bathing suit.

All broad shouldered and trim waisted.

My fingers floated to the golden rose blossom strung around my neck. West had a different look than the other guys. Black hair and warm, almond eyes. He carried himself differently, too.

Stop it, Stella. You're not going to see West Tenney again, so it doesn't matter. These guys are nice to look at. The beach is warm. You have a book and music and your best friend in the whole world. You have plenty of distractions. You don't need to think about him.

"Should we bust open this cooler?" I asked Leona.

"You read my mind."

Turkey and cheese sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper, along with bags of chips and two chocolate chip cookies.

I snatched a cookie and leaned back in my chair, my gaze lingering on the steely blue ocean. After working all morning, it felt good to soak in the sun and listen to the sound of the ocean.