18 • Thoughts

Chapter Song: The Lakes by Taylor Swift

I was sitting in a cold waiting room chair beside my grandpa. My arm around his shoulders. His fingers laced together, resting on top of his cane.

Every hospital smelled the same. Antiseptic cleaner. Filtered air. Then there was this underlying scent that I couldn't put my finger on but that I could taste.

In two and a half months, I'd be rolled into a surgery suite.

Don't think about that. Think about...West wearing a pink boa singing, If You Wannabe My Lover, at the top of his lungs.

I really needed to see this video.

"Stella!"

The sound of my name pulled me from my thoughts, and I looked up to find Leona, Graham, and Spencer all walking towards us.

I was surprised to see Spencer. I hadn't texted him. But, maybe he had been eating breakfast at the Yacht Club, too.

Quick introductions were made after Leona finished wrapping me in a rib-crushing hug. It felt so good to have her here. Leona's demeanor had shifted from fun and flirty to that of a future RN.

"Did they give her a thrombolytic? tPA?"

Grandpa and I exchanged looks. "Non-medical words, Leona," I told her.

Graham cleared his throat, then added, "Did they identify that the stroke occurred in the last three hours?"

I didn't know the answer to that. We all looked to my grandfather who's color had drained from his face, and he somehow looked older than yesterday. Worry cording the lines of his forehead.

"Yes, I think so," my grandpa said slowly. "All of a sudden, she said she had a migraine, then her mouth started drooping. I called 9-1-1 after that."

Graham and Leona shared a relieved look. "That's good," Graham replied. Setting a comforting hand on my grandpa's shoulder. "That means she was able to receive medicine to help her recover."

I felt oddly relieved hearing this from Graham, whose demeanor had also shifted from his perpetual shit-eating grin to something reassuring.

I knew he was in school to become a Physician's Assistant—so this must be his doctor voice.

Leona plopped down beside me. Meanwhile, Spencer had taken a seat next to my grandpa—his elbows resting casually on his knees. He seemed at ease inside the waiting room.

"Is there anything we can do to help while you're here?"

My grandpa cleared his throat. "That's sure nice of you to offer, Spencer, but I can't think of anything."

Spencer glanced at me with those penetrating green eyes of his, and for a brief moment, the only thing I could think about was that his hair needed brushing back. "How about coffee? Or tea?"