Epilogue, Part 1

As recounted by Howard Turner III

As recounted by Howard Turner III. Head of Household Affairs for Mr. and Mrs. Spencer and Stella Fredericksen.

The twenty-seventh of October, Two thousand and twenty-seven.

Newport, Rhode Island.

I considered retirement at age seventy, but it was the heartfelt request of Stella to join them at their married residence that kept me working for the Fredericksen family. I couldn't say no to her. It was impossible.

So, as it was, I was present at their small but well-appointed home during their first challenge as a married couple. I'll never forget that chilly day in late October. It had been two months since Spencer and Stella committed themselves to each other in front of God and family. I'd never been more proud of Spencer—of his strength and steadfast devotion to Stella. I'd never had children of my own, but these two were gifts.

Stella had fallen into a bout of sudden depression that took us all by shock. She struggled to get out of bed in the morning, refused food, sipped tea. I remember with sharp clarity our whispered conversation once Spencer had left the room.

"Turner, I'm scared the cancer spread. I have this lump, and I don't know what to do about it."

Aghast, I saw her feel just above her breast, with a worried look on her face. "You should tell him your fears, Miss. Don't keep it from him."

"I don't want to scare him. Everything has been so good. I've been fine."

"Miss Stella, I can tell you Spencer is already scared. You can only help ease his fears by being honest."

Stella leaned back against her pillow. "I want to be sure before I bring it up. After what happened to Amelia...I don't want to cause a stir if it's nothing."

"How about I phone the nurse? She can come and draw your blood and have your levels tested right here. But tell him."

Thankfully, the young miss agreed, and an hour later, a nurse was drawing Stella's blood whilst Spencer sat on the bed beside her. I excused myself once the needle was out and Stella's coloring had returned.

On her way out, I noticed the nurse who'd drawn Stella's blood was wearing a sweet smile. I didn't know why, but it struck me as odd. We were all so worried.

I couldn't help myself, and I broke my usual protocol and went to the woman. My concern overwhelming. "What do you think? Is that lump on her a cancerous nodule?"

The nurse closed her bag, and her hand landed on my arm. "No, I don't think so, Mr. Turner. But, you can expect the doctor's phone call in an hour or so."

I drew in a breath. "They'll know what's wrong that quickly?"

She gave me another smile, then closed the door.

I paced down the hall, refilling teacups and checking in on the two of them. Tears were on both their cheeks, and I couldn't help but feel heat and tears spead in my own eyes. I prayed to God that the nurse was right and that this was something simple. Low iron. Low thyroid hormones. Something easy.

When the phone finally rang, a little more than an hour later, I waited at the door to their bedroom—listening to the quiet conversation. I heard clips of the conversation.

"You're sure?" and "Did you run the test twice?" and "But I've always been so careful with my medicine."

When the doctor finally rang off, Spencer called me in.

They were smiling. And crying. And Good Lord in Heaven, there was laughter.

"What is it?" I begged them to put me out of my misery.

Stella's hand floated to her stomach. "Turner, we're going to have a baby."

Tears fell, and I hugged them both. It was the happiest moment of all my seventy years—a baby.

"And the lump?"

Spencer gave me a sly smile that I recognized on him all too well. "As if Stella's boobs needed to get any bigger."

Stella smacked his hand away, which only seemed to make his wicked smile grow wider.

I took that as my cue to leave and exited the house as quickly as possible. There were groceries and vitamins to purchase, and I'd need to start interviewing more staff. Life and excitement carried me to the grocery store. I couldn't wait to meet this little person. This new breath of life.

I sent up a prayer to dearest Amelia. Thanking her for keeping her brother and his wife safe. For watching over for us all.