Chapter 24 - Linkage

Ash jumped over a root sticking out of the ground, almost tripping the process. "Pika!" Pikachu complained, having almost fallen off of Ash's shoulder. "Sorry buddy," Ash said while he ran. He was still chasing his backpack, which had left a noticeable path through the forest; there were marks on the bark of trees, indicating to Ash where it had been.

Guess we aren't going to Anistar City today, Ash thought. But I need to get this crystal back or else going there would be pointless. Wiping away sweat forming on his forehead, he continued running along the path the bag had made, hoping that maybe the path would suddenly end and the bag would be sitting there.

His wish was still just that; a wish. He was getting tired of running by this point and decided to rest. It's not like the path will disappear, right? He told himself. In all honesty, however, this wouldn't surprise him, as he was currently chasing a flying bag, so nothing would surprise him at this point.

Ash sat down, resting against a tree. Pikachu hopped off his shoulder and sat next to him. "Pika-pi?" Pikachu asked. Ash sighed and said, "I know we left Goh behind, but I'm just so worried about losing the crystal."

Pikachu silently nodded, understanding his trainer's worries. Ash was one to intensely focus on one task at a time, and he often blocked out everything else, so this time wasn't any different. Ash took a deep breath and said, "Maybe we should just continue following the path." He stood up and looked at Pikachu while he said this, receiving a nod from the yellow mouse Pokemon.

Ash suddenly heard a snap behind him and whipped his head around towards the source of the sound. "Is anyone there?" he asked, caution in his voice. He heard a small groan from a bush and saw a figure walk from the bush. "Ash, I've been looking for you," said the figure. It was hard to see in the dense woods, so Ash had to squint his eyes to see the identity of the figure.

It was Goh, covered in branches and leaves. He had scratches all over him and was visibly tired. Ash made a surprised sound as he saw the state of his friend and was met with Goh putting his hands up to try to calm Ash down. "Don't worry, I just fell into this bush. I'm not hurt," Goh said. "What I am, however, is angry at you for running off!" His voice had a hint of frustration in it as he glared at Ash.

Ash apologetically smiled and said, "Sorry. I'm just really worried about losing the crystal." He looked towards the path that the bag made. "I guess we won't be going to Anistar City after all..." His voice was rich with guilt, as he thought somehow it was his fault they couldn't make their flight.

Goh sighed then shook his head, sitting down on the grass while doing so. "I understand that you want to find the crystal, but not waiting for me so I can help stupid." He eyed Ash and furrowed his brow as a question formed in his head. "You're drawn to that crystal, aren't you?" Ash looked at Goh confusingly, as he wasn't quite sure what the question meant. He just shrugged in response and smiled at Goh.

"So, now that you're here," Ash said. "Why don't we go look for the bag together." He held his hand out to Goh, who grabbed it and lifted himself off the ground. "Thanks," he said, nodding in agreement with Ash. "Let's go find that crystal."

[-]

"Come on, May! Hurry up!" Max exclaimed towards a sluggish May behind them. May looked up with a pitiful face and groaned, "I'm so hungry! It's been hours since we got off the plane!" She sat down on a nearby log and looked at Serena and Max. Serena sighed and turned around, knowing that when it came to food, May was super stubborn and wouldn't let up until she had something to eat.

"Vermillion City is close, but it's not a bad idea to stop and eat I guess," Serena admitted. She walked over to May on the log and sat next to her, with Max following close behind and sitting on the other side of May. May smiled at her friend and thanked her for stopping. "I'm glad we brought these sandwiches from home," she said, bringing out a basket of homemade sandwiches. "Thanks for making them, Max!" She and Serena turned towards Max, who blushed from the compliment and proudly said, "Thanks, May!"