Chapter 46 - Potential

Clemont and Sycamore walked into the Pokemon Center that was located in the center of Lumiose Center, looking for Ash, Greninja, and Bonnie. "There they are!" Clemont exclaimed, pointing towards a table where Bonnie was worriedly looking at Ash. "I guess Greninja's already being treated," Sycamore noticed.

"Hey, Ash," Clemont said, walking up to the two. "How are you?" he asked. Looking up, Ash was about to respond when he saw Sycamore at his side. "What are you doing here?" He asked. Clemont heard the anger in Ash's voice and quickly said, "No, no, no! He's here to apologize and explain himself."

Ash scoffed. "Explain himself? He already explained enough whenever he hurt Greninja!" He exclaimed, turning his head away from Clemont and Sycamore. Clemont walked over to Ash and said, "Please just listen to him! He has good reasoning for what he did!"

Sycamore raised his hand and said, "No, his anger is warranted." Clemont turned around and said, "Don't you want to let him know why? So he doesn't hate you?" Sycamore shook his head and said, "It doesn't matter. If we don't let him get stronger then none of this will matter anyway."

Ash lifted his head and warily turned to Sycamore upon hearing this. "What do you mean none of this will matter?" He asked, having a small suspicion that he was referring to the threat imposed by the third Zygrade Core. Sycamore shook his head again and said, "Garchomp was stolen by people that looked like you and Serena," directing his answer towards Ash.

Ash winced a little at the mention of Serena. Thinking about her only brought him back to the moment when Chloe and Miette were accusing him of something he never did, so he tried avoiding it. "Looked like us?" he wondered out loud. "Just like when a fake Ash showed up at Prism Tower?" He asked Clemont, who nodded in return.

"Right," Clemont answered. "The Professor even said they looked a bit green, so maybe they have something to do with the Zygarde Core." Sycamore nodded and added, "I knew you wouldn't do something like that, Ash, so I knew it wasn't you."

Ash groaned and covered his face with his hands, processing all the information. "Is he okay?" Sycamore whispered to Clemont, who smiled out of pity for Ash and said, "I think this is the first time he's had to think this hard, so I'd say he's just trying his best." Sycamore silently chuckled at Clemont's comment and decided to formally apologize to Ash.

"Ash, I'm really sorry. Truly," Sycamore said, with Ash slightly listening. "I was really scared about Garchomp and wanted to make Greninja stronger so that I could try to get her back." He slumped his shoulders and dropped his head out of shame. Ash heard Sycamore's pain and sadness in his voice and sighed, knowing that he didn't deliberately try to hurt Greninja.

Standing up, Ash said, "I accept your apology." Sycamore was shocked and said, "Thank you so much!" Ash nodded and walked over. "I know what it's like to lose your Pokemon. It's happened to me more times than I can count and it makes me want to do anything to get them back, so..." He shrugged and added, "I know how it feels."

Sycamore nodded, a faint smile on his face. "I do appreciate it. Hopefully, Greninja recovers just fine." Ash nodded back and fist-pumped. "I'll make sure to do everything I can to get Garchomp back." Sycamore's eyes gleamed with respect as he replied, "Thank you, Ash."

Bonnie, who had timidly watched the entire ordeal unfold, happily exclaimed, "Yay! Everyone's friends again!", earning smiles and chuckles from the other three. A bell suddenly rang out throughout the Pokemon Center, indicating that someone's Pokemon was fully healed. "Maybe that's Greninja!" Ash exclaimed, running over to Nurse Joy who had appeared by the door.

"Oh, Ash! I was just looking for you!" Nurse Joy said. "Is it Greninja?" Ash excitedly asked. "Is he better?" Nurse Joy frowned and said, "Greninja is feeling just fine, don't worry." Ash smiled and said, "That's great! So, what's the issue?", referring to her frown.