Chapter 71 - Finality

Watch out for Mewtwo, Ash spoke to Greninja through their shared connection, sensing Mewtwo's current position. Greninja continued hopping and dashing away from an angered and powered-up Mewtwo that could only physically hit Greninja, as he was generally immune to most of Mewtwo's attacks.

"JUST TAKE IT OUT!" Giovanni roared from the ground, watching in an annoyed state as Mewtwo failed to make contact with the constantly moving Ninja Frog. Mewtwo heard Giovanni and started going a bit faster, causing Ash and Greninja to exert more energy as they continued evading Mewtwo.

Just don't get hit, Ash said calmly. He felt a sort of message from Greninja that told him that he needed backup of some kind. Instantly, Ash's mind went straight to Lucario, as he knew he could take out Mewtwo with his power. You're right, Greninja. Lucario's got this.

Ash had returned Lucario to his Pokeball after the fight with Rhyperior, as he had been worried about the house sustaining more damage, so he now grabbed the Pokeball from his belt and held it tightly, not wanting to release Lucario. If I release it, then what Ippei was saying could come true, Ash thought to himself. I don't want to lose Lucario and Greninja.

He then thought about everything that had led him up to this point; all the events that had transpired to cause him to be fighting one of the most powerful Pokemon in the world. His participation in the World Coronation Series, which he couldn't wait to get back to after he had stopped Giovanni, his friendships and adventures with people and Pokemon, and most importantly, the experiences he's had along the way.

The last few weeks had seemed like a blur to him, while also simultaneously feeling like the longest time in his life. The departure to Moomoo Farms, Espie's gift, traveling to Rustboro City where they had met Mr. Stone and caused the disaster, the Mega Gear, meeting his old friends and challenging Paul to a battle, Anistar City and all the crazy stuff that happened there, the life-changing information he had received in Ninja Village.

And Serena. She had been supporting him ever since she showed up at his first Gym battle in the Kalos region without fail. His grip on Lucario's Pokeball made him realize more than ever how important she was to him, and how much he truly wanted to spend the precious time he had in this world with her. Before this moment, he knew she was different from other people; that he had some form of happiness around her. Now, he realized something.

She's the one, he told himself determinedly. This realization must've pushed his energy to the limits, as Greninja was now able to not only dodge Mewtwo's attacks but was also able to start tossing small Water Shurikens now and then, causing Mewtwo to slow down a little.

Ash readied his arm, and, recollecting about everything that he had just thought of, tossed the Pokeball with all his might, releasing Lucario onto the ground. "Lu!" Lucario exclaimed, his determination visible to everyone. "Help out Greninja!" Ash yelled. "Use Aura Spheres until Mewtwo stops!"

Lucario nodded and sprinted over to where the two were fighting and began lobbing spheres at Mewtwo. Ash stood and continued to help out Mega Ash-Greninja through their connection, so he was startled when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned around and came face to face with Goh and the rest of the group. "We took out all of his other Pokemon," Goh stated seriously. "We're here to help!"

Ash smiled and put his arm on Goh's shoulder. "Thank you. Seriously," he said, turning to everyone in the group. "All of you. You've all helped me in ways you couldn't imagine, even if you don't realize it." He said that last part while facing Serena, who understood what he was saying and found herself not blushing due to the confidence she had gained while being in this scenario.

Cinderace walked next to Goh and faced Mewtwo determinedly. "Cinder-ace-ace!" He exclaimed, kicking a small pebble in midair while it waited for a command. "Did Raboot evolve!?" Ash asked in awe. Goh nodded and responded, "Yep, but right now might not be the best place to discuss that." Ash quickly composed himself and rubbed his hand on the back of his neck. "You're right. Sorry," he responded.