Chapter 72 - Energized

Now.

Mega Ash-Greninja and Lucario released their built-up attacks, sending them towards the Shadow Ball together and creating an incredible sight. It was a fusion of the Water Shuriken and the Aura Sphere, essentially creating a gold-and-purple vortex of power.

Ash put his arm over his face as the raw power of both attacks collided, both fighting for dominance. Come on, Ash thought determinedly. Fight through, please! He watched as the Shadow Ball began crumbling under the strength of the combination attack, struggling to break through.

On the other side, Giovanni was still on the ground, unconscious after Aaron had punched him. This caused Mewtwo to be unsure about what to do next, as there was no one around to give it orders. So whenever the Shadow Ball finally shattered into a million small particles, Mewtwo froze midair, realizing its fate and understanding what was about to happen.

All of its rage and anger seem to disappear as the Aura Water Shuriken engulfed it, applying so much pressure onto its body and causing the device to shatter under the immense power that was produced by the move. Mewtwo quickly understood exactly what had happened, and its previous personality and conscience were unlocked.

The impact of the move was enough to knock Mewtwo out of the sky, causing it to plummet to the ground. While water and Aura particles scattered everywhere from the attack, Ash could barely see Mewtwo through the downfall but knew that he could grab it before it crashed into the ground.

We need to grab Mewtwo, Ash said to Greninja and Lucario, sprinting forward as he did so. They didn't respond in Ash's mind as he ran forward, causing him to look around in worry. Guys? He thought to himself, unable to connect with either of them. "Guys?" He repeated verbally, hoping for any response.

Nothing. Both Greninja and Lucario stared blankly at where they had released their attack, unmoving. "Guys?!" Ash repeated a little more frantically, completely forgetting about the free-falling Mewtwo and running towards both of his Pokemon in worry. He put his hands on each of their shoulders and shook them frantically.

"Come on guys! Move!" Ash exclaimed in a terrified tone. From the main group, Pikachu brought himself up from the ground and dashed over, seeing clearly that something was wrong. "Pika! Pika-pi!" Pikachu cried to Greninja and Lucario, trying to get their attention, unsuccessfully doing so.

Ash continued shaking his Pokemon before hearing a loud thud. He turned around and saw that Mewtwo had landed directly on its side after falling from the air, its device shattered right beside it. "Oh, Arceus!" Ash exclaimed, realizing he had just let Mewtwo fall from a large height. He began running over to Mewtwo, hoping that it was okay.

Goh started to get up off the ground, struggling to do so as the Psychic had lifted them high enough off the ground to bruise them. Did we win? He thought to himself, covering his head as he developed a splitting headache. Did we defeat Giovanni? He looked up and saw a confusing scene.

Greninja and Lucario were standing idly while Ash was rushing over to Mewtwo, who was on the ground and unmoving. The device! Goh realized. It's gone! He smiled and exclaimed, "Did we win?!" Ash didn't turn around and instead kept running towards Mewtwo, getting considerably slower with each step.

"Ash!" Goh yelled with worry, as he never turned around to address his question. He watched as Ash kept slowing down before coming to a complete stop and falling onto the ground, completely limp. "Oh no!" Goh screamed, trying to run over to Ash but quickly falling due to his leg having immense pain.

He looked up and watched as Greninja and Lucario both reverted to their original form, any aspect of their Peacekeeper symbols gone from their appearance. Did they go back to normal? Goh thought to himself, confused by the whole process.