Chapter 31 - Lurking

"Mr. Stone, I'm assuming you want to know where your son is?"

Mr. Stone looked up at the looming figure, Z, sitting in front of him. He had been trying to decipher where Steven could be in his office when he had been suddenly attacked, waking up in a small cave that had a leather chair and a few computer monitors. "I did what you said to do," he said, his voice quivering. "Where is he?"

"Patience," Z slyly said. His voice was smooth and silky, easily able to trick and persuade any unsuspecting victim. Mr. Stone presumed this, along with his strong Pokemon, was most likely why he was such a powerful and influencing man. "Why do you think I have yet to give Steven back to you?"

Mr. Stone shook his head slowly and replied, "I don't know, but you promised to give him back." His mind flashed back to the office when he got Ash to visit him; that was the task given to him by Z, who pledged to return Steven safely upon fulfilling it.

"Let's just say that won't happen anytime soon," Z responded, his voice thick with hatred. "In fact, the opposite is certain to be the truth." As he said this, he began ominously rubbing his hands, causing Mr. Stone to feel slightly uneasy. "Are you serious?" Mr. Stone accusingly asked. "The only reason I agreed to this was for him, not for some world domination manifesto that you-"

"Silence!" Z barked, instantly causing Mr. Stone to go quiet. "You have no place to speak!" His voice was still calm and collected, but there was clear menace and hate laced throughout it. "You've already been accounted for. You're no use to me now." Mr. Stone's brows furrowed upon hearing. "Already accounted for? What does that even mean?" He was genuinely confused by this point.

"You betrayed me!" Z shouted, standing up and revealing his tall, but commanding, figure. Mr. Stone shook his head and pleaded, "I was never on your side! You blackmailed me at my office!" He got on his knees and continued groveling, hoping the man wouldn't falsely accuse him of such antics.

"You gave away a Mega Ring," Z explained simply. "You gave away one of the most powerful items in the world to the threat!" He slammed his hand on the desk in front of him, causing Mr. Stone to flinch. "For that, you must be punished," he said, sitting back down at the chair menacingly.

"What?!" Mr. Stone exclaimed. "You can't just do that! It's not right!" He stood and began pointing at the man, who sat unfazed and continued stroking his Persian. "If I don't get him handed to me now I'm gonna-!"

"What?" Z calmly interrupted Mr. Stone. "What will you do?" He pressed a small red button on his desk and turned around. "You are powerless against me and you know it. So go on. What will you do?" Mr. Stone sat there speechless, knowing that what Z said was correct, even though he hated to admit it.

He suddenly felt a disturbing and otherworldly presence in the room. He felt chills go down his back as Z commanded, "Mewtwo, take this gentleman to the holding room. I'll deal with him later." Mr. Stone looked around for the source of the man's command and saw something that terrified him to his core.

It was a large, humanoid Pokemon, but there seemed to be something very off about it. For starters, the entirety of it was a glowing green, which even Mr. Stone knew wasn't a normal color for a Pokemon. He also noticed a large device around its head that seemed to be deciding the Pokémon's every move for it. Lastly, Mr. Stone looked into its eyes and noticed that it was devoid of life, completely emotionless.

"What in Arceus' name...?" Mr. Stone whispered, unable to comprehend the monstrosity in front of him. "What have you done to this Pokemon?" He asked, his voice full of concern for the suffering Pokemon in front of him.

Z waved his hand and sharply said, "That's none of your business! Mewtwo, take him away now!" As he commanded this, the large Pokemon seemed to respond with a lifeless nod before turning to a scared Mr. Stone, who tried to run away towards the door.