Chapter 70 - Boundless

Mewtwo stared at Ash with intense hatred before moving its head towards Serena. "Why is it looking at me like that?" Serena asked in worry. Ash opened his eyes wide and jumped in front of Serena, Greninja doing the same in front of him.

Ash didn't know why he had jumped but was glad his instinct had kicked in once he saw Mewtwo dash over at high speeds and stop in front of Greninja threateningly. Ash stood his ground and willed Greninja to use Aerial Ace on Mewtwo.

Greninja procured a sharp blade and went to slash at Mewtwo, who dodged it extremely quickly and used its fist to slam him to the ground. "What move was that?" Serena asked loudly. Ash gritted his teeth and responded, "I don't think that was a move," recognizing Mewtwo's strength. "It just... used its hands."

Ash-Greninja got up and stared at Mewtwo, judging the situation. Use Water Shuriken while I get Serena out of here, Ash thought to Greninja, who nodded and began shooting dozens of mini water shurikens at Greninja, who simply used Psychic and moved them out of its way. Ash grabbed Serena's arm and exclaimed, "Get back to the house where it's safe!"

Ash pulled her arm, but she resisted his pull. "No!" She exclaimed defiantly. "I'm not gonna just leave you here! What if you disappear again?" Ash could tell she was hurt and realized that she was worried that if she left him alone, he would just leave like in Anistar City.

Ash was about to tell her that he wasn't going to leave when he realized that she was going to stay there no matter what he said. "Okay," he responded, letting go of her arm. "But I want you to be careful, please." Serena nodded and gave Ash a quick hug just in case.

"Remember," she whispered in his ear. "You promised me that you'd tell me what happened in Kalos." He nodded and responded, "I will." Breaking from the hug, Ash turned back towards Ash-Greninja and Mewtwo, both growing tired of the endless back and forth that was going nowhere.

Greninja, Ash spoke to Greninja through his connection. We've got to do it. Greninja gave Ash a side glance as he continued throwing Water Shurikens. The scarf, Ash thought, nodding towards Greninja's neck, who looked at it and realized that Ash was right.

Greninja leaped backward and away from Mewtwo, who attempted to reach out and grab him but ended up missing. "Quickly!" Ash exclaimed as Greninja ran towards him, Mewtwo close behind. "Mega Evolve!" He raised his fist, revealing his Mega Ring shining a bright blue and red. The Mega Scarf began glowing in sync with the Mega Ring, illuminating the area with a blue and red hue.

"Wow..." Serena whispered to herself. She knew that the admiration for the colors was a bit inappropriate given the circumstances, but she couldn't help but admire it. Ash felt the energy swell inside of him and Greninja simultaneously as the evolution took place.

Ash saw a bright white light surrounding Greninja as he began to Mega Evolve. Hands and feet became larger, color streaks became more abundant, and most noticeably, its X-shaped wings were larger and had layers to them, giving it incredible speed and agility.

Mewtwo stopped chasing Greninja, instead stopping midair and staring right at him, almost out of respect. Ash stared at Mega Ash-Greninja and noticed something about him. It doesn't look like how it did in the laboratory, he thought to himself. There were simply more features to it; more detail had been added.

Over with the other group, everyone was fending off the rest of Giovanni's Pokemon. "Raboot, use Double Kick!" Goh exclaimed, pointing his finger at Persian. Raboot hopped up and readied his foot towards Persian, who kept on running towards him. It's not stopping! Goh thought, surprised. It's just gonna get hit.

Since Giovanni was busy with Ash and Greninja, there were no orders to give, so the Pokemon did everything on their own. Persian kept running and eventually, Raboot was about to make contact with Persian's head. Almost there! Goh thought, sure of himself.