Chapter 41 - Ignite

There was a mutual silence between the Lumiose City siblings and Ash, as it had been so much time since they had last seen each other. "Ash?" Bonnie squeaked, rubbing her eyes as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing. "Is it really you?" Clemont asked, almost uncertain that the raven-haired boy that stood before him was the one they had traveled across the Kalos region with.

"Of course, guys! Who else could it be?" Ash asked, off-put by his friend's odd behavior. Bonnie and Clemont looked at each other and nodded. Turning back to Ash, Clemont began explaining why they were questioning Ash's authenticity. "We're just making sure because we were visited by an Ash a few days ago."

Ash was confused. "Another Ash?" He asked, not understanding what the two were talking about. "But a few days ago I was in Rustboro City. How could I have been here?" he asked. Clemont frowned and looked at Ash, still skeptical if it was really Ash and not what he had witnessed days ago.

"Even I'm unsure of who that Ash was," Clemont admitted, adjusting his glasses as he did so. Bonnie nodded and began telling the real Ash what had happened. "He came by and we were so happy because we thought it was Ash, but he looked green and mean," she said, shuddering as she remembered the green Ash's rude mannerisms.

"He also started demanding to see Squishy, so we thought it was you," Clemont added. "Very few people know the Zygarde cell as Squishy, so Bonnie and I decided we could trust this Ash." Ash tilted his head in confusion.

"He wanted to see Squishy?" Ash repeated back to Clemont, making sure he heard the blonde-haired Gym Leader correctly. "I wonder why?" he softly muttered to himself. Bonnie suddenly raised her eyebrows and exclaimed, "Wait! We don't even know if you're the real Ash!", and began accusingly pointing at Ash.

Ash raised his hands in self-defense and said, "I promise it's me, you guys!" Both Clemont and Bonnie looked at each other and whispered, "That's what the other Ash said," making Ash realize he needed to earn their trust somehow.

An idea popped into his head. "Wait, ask me a question only the real Ash could answer!" he exclaimed, knowing that his plan could probably work. Clemont looked back at Ash and exclaimed, "Of course! A fake Ash wouldn't know anything about what the real Ash has done!" Ash gave a grin and thought, This might just work.

"Ok, I've got it!" Bonnie exclaimed. "Here's something only you would know. What's the last thing Serena did before she left for Hoenn?" she slyly asked, stifling a laugh while she asked. "B-Bonnie!" Clemont exclaimed, embarrassingly looking at his mischievous little sister. "That's not appropriate to ask! And frankly, none of our business!"

Ash was slightly embarrassed but shook his head. "It's no big deal, Clemont!" He exclaimed. In reality, it only made him think of Miette and Chloe, and the situation they were in a few hours ago. Clemont looked at Ash and bowed, saying, "You don't need to answer that. It's pretty clear you're the real Ash."

Bonnie stomped her foot and pouted. "I wanted to hear him say it, though" she muttered. She had always thought that Serena and Ash were cute when they were together, so whenever Serena had kissed him as she was leaving for Hoenn, Bonnie had been ecstatic. To lighten up her mood, Bonnie ran over to Ash and grabbed Pikachu off of his shoulder, and began petting him, which Pikachu was perfectly content with.

Clemont nervously chuckled at his sister's antics and turned back to Ash, having faith that it was the real Ash and not the fake one. "So, what are you doing in Lumiose City?" Clemont asked. "Surely not trying to challenge the gym again. I wouldn't stand a chance," he chuckled, remembering Ash's power in the Kalos League and how powerful he had been facing up against Alain.

"No, no, nothing like that," Ash said. "I'm here because of Serena," he said solemnly, which both Clemont and Bonnie seemed to notice. "About Serena?" Bonnie questioned, tilting her head to the side. "Does that mean you've seen her since she left?" Clemont asked, once again adjusting his glasses.