Chapter 67 - Transformation

"What?!" Sanpei exclaimed. "How do you know this?" He had known that the transformation into becoming a peacekeeper of the village was bound to happen soon, but didn't know that it was happening now. "I had a dream," Ash explained, rubbing his head. "Whenever you healed my arm, I had a dream with Greninja in it."

"That doesn't mean anything!" Sanpei responded. Ash shook his head. "It was different from a normal dream, I promise!" He insisted. "Greninja had the Caring One's symbol on it and everything!" His insistence was enough to cause Sanpei to believe him, so he turned to Goh and asked, "Is Greninja still with the medic?"

Goh nodded and quickly opened the door again. "He should be. The rest of the group is trying to help out, but you need to come quickly, Ash!" Goh exclaimed with enough urgency for Ash and Sanpei to run out the door and down the street alongside Goh.

They started getting closer to the main area of the village where the houses were completely leveled and began hearing a commotion from the crowd there. "They're probably freaking out about Greninja!" Goh yelled as they ran towards the crowd. "It's not every day that you see this," Sanpei responded in between breaths as they continued running.

Ash tried to weave his way in and out of people blocking his way to Greninja, accidentally pushing people along the way. "Sorry!" Ash apologized, appearing at the center of the crowd and staring right at Greninja on the straw bed. Ash could see the symbol being formed on Greninja's tongue, almost as if he was being tattooed.

Ash frantically looked around for the medic once he noticed the visible painful expression on Greninja's face, but couldn't find the elderly woman anywhere. "Greninja!" He exclaimed, grabbing Greninja by the leg and trying to lift him. Ash instantly let go of Greninja's legs the second he grabbed them, as it seemed that his entire body was searing hot.

"What's wrong, Ash?" Goh asked, running up behind Ash. "It's like his entire body is burning," Ash explained, staring helplessly at Greninja. "I have no clue why either," he added. Goh sighed and stuttered, "W-Well, what do we do? We can't just sit around and do nothing while Greninja's in pain."

"Goh's partially right," Sanpei said from behind both trainers. "We can't just sit around while this transformation is happening," he advised them both. Ash and Goh both stared at him with wide eyes. "Transformation?" Ash asked, looking at Greninja. "Is that why Greninja is burning hot?" Sanpei walked over to Greninja and felt his skin, realizing its searing hot surface.

"It's part of the transformation," Sanpei said, blowing on his hand calmly. "The eternal flame of the female Pyroar fills Greninja's body, turning him into the Caring One," Sanpei explained. "What does that flame do?" Goh asked curiously. "It fills the peacekeeper with enough power to stop whatever crisis may occur," Sanpei responded. "That being whatever Giovanni may use with the core."

"More power?" Ash asked no one in particular. Sanpei nodded. "Yep. The spirit of the female Pyroar lets this happen," he responded. I guess it is supposed to happen," Ash thought to himself. Everything, including the sacrifice. Knowing that his Greninja, a Pokemon that he had known for so long, was supposed to be sacrificed was extremely hard to swallow.

"Out of my way! Out of my way!" A raspy voice yelled from the crowd. Ash looked behind him and saw the elderly medic pushing her way through the crowd, holding a large bucket that was practically overflowing with water. Ash watched as the medic took the bucket and dumped all of the water directly into Greninja, causing him to wake up and bring his head up quickly.

Sanpei stared at Greninja and smiled. "I was going to advise that we try to wake Greninja up, but it seems that the medic beat us to it," he said. "Greninja!" Ash exclaimed, ignoring Sanpei's words. He rushed over to the ninja frog and embraced him in a deep hug. "I'm sorry that I let you get hurt," Ash said apologetically and genuinely.