FIFTEEN

» [paper rings-taylor swift] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:54
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

"Take a seat Doctor Samberly." Evelyn smiled widely as she motioned to the couch across from her usual seat. "Can I get you a cup of coffee?"

"Yeah-yeah that would be real nice thanks." Samberly nodded with a small smile, taking a seat on the couch and waiting for the girl to bring him a cup of coffee.

Evelyn handed the coffee to Samberly before taking a seat her across from him. She used her own coffee cup to warm up her cold hands.

"So, how you feeling?" Evelyn questioned softly.

"Everyone hates me." Samberly let out a defeated sigh, slouching back in his seat.

The girl was prepared for this, Samberly always went on about how nobody liked him and that nobody even knew his name. She felt bad for the man, truly. He never got invited anywhere and always got paid no attention.

"Nobody hates you, Aloysius." Evelyn whispered softly, taking a sip of her drink. Her eyes flickered to the window behind Samberly and smiled as Jack walked past.

He slept over again last night, but this time he drove her to work. He stayed in the guest bedroom rather than them both falling asleep on the couch, but it felt nice to wake up with someone in the house other than her bodyguard coming to check that she made it through the night.

"None of the agents ever invite me out for drinks." Samberly complained. "I'm sure you understand that, you never get invited out. But that's cause you're a-" He hesitated for a moment before saying, "- a woman."

Evelyn cleared her throat and nodded, she understood that half the men in the SSR were still sexist, although she was sure that she had been invited out for drinks much more than Samberly ever had, not that she'd say that to his face.

"I'm sure if you'd just ask them if you were okay to join, they'd say yes." Evelyn attempted to reassure him.

Samberly scoffed in response, lifting up his coffee cup and drinking the contents. Evelyn had to remind herself not to scrunch her face up in disgust as she watched the coffee dribble down his chin.

"Yeah right." He laughed. "Agent Thompson is the one that normally invited everyone out and he's a right piece of s-"

"Okay, okay. Doctor Samberly, that's enough." Evelyn's eyes widened slightly as he spoke. "I think that it would be good for you to at least try to ask."

Jack smiled in at Evelyn through the window. She had Samberly in her office currently, he sent her a playful wink and watched as she blushed. He liked knowing that he had some sort of effect on her.

"I just wanted someone to invite me, you know?" Samberly whispered defeatedly. "It's probably just because I don't carry a gun or have a cocky attitude that I'm not seen as a significant member of the SSR, my father was right, I'll never be a success."

"That's not true, you're an important member to this institution, Doctor, plus, you're working for the SSR, I'd say that is pretty successful." Evelyn complimented.

She watched as Jack was called into Chief Dooley's office along side Krzeminski. He waved at her as he left, which caused her heart to skip a few beats.

"Doc, are you occupied by something or should I say, someone else?" Samberly questioned as he turned to look out of the window, but thankfully, Jack was already gone.

"No, no." Evelyn nervously chuckled. "You seem to have issues with what your father said to you as a child a lot, would you like to talk about that?"

Samberly ran his hand over his growing stubble, leaning forward slightly and grabbing a chocolate biscuit.

"He was an emotionally abusive man, what's more to say?" Samberly shrugged as if it was nothing.

Most of the men at SSR shrugged off their feelings, which is why Chief Dooley constantly made them go and see Evelyn. It was why he made Jack go to see her so much, because he worked better once he had let off a little steam.

"There's plenty more to say, but when you're good and ready, Aloysius, and not a moment sooner." Evelyn softly smiled, taking a sip of her coffee.

There was a knock at the door and in walked Jack, causing Evelyn to instantly smile. She raised her brows and waited for him to say something.

"I'm sorry for interrupting, Evie." Jack didn't bother to pay any attention to Samberly who was glaring at the man. "You're needed, we're going to the Jarvis residence and well since you know Edwin Jarvis, Chief thought it'd be best if you came along."

Of course, The Chief hadn't actually said anything. Jack suggested it and Chief Dooley just shrugged it off. He didn't care who went on the missions as long as they were all safe.

"Can't you see that we're in a meeting?" Samberly questioned rather snappily.

Jack scrunched his face up at the man, he slowly nodded his head before looking back at Evelyn. He pointed to the biscuits and said,

"May I?" His cocky smirk said everything that he wasn't saying out loud. He didn't care that he interrupted a meeting, he wanted Evelyn to come along so he got to spend more time with her, he didn't care how selfish it may have been.

Evelyn watched his movements carefully, she never broke eye contact with Jack as he grabbed a biscuit. From the corner of her eye she could see how frustrated Samberly was getting, which made her feel awful.

"Doctor Samberly, can we pick this up when I get back?" Evelyn whispered guiltily.

"You're just the same, rushing around after the men with guns." Samberly shook his head in disappointment.

Jack raised his brows at the way that Samberly just spoke to the girl. Angrily, Jack stood up straight and puffed out his chest before saying,

"It was a direct order from The Chief, Samberly, so I suggest you stop complaining unless you want to go and take it up with him."

Samberly muttered something under his breath before storming out and slamming the door. The second that he left, Jack burst out laughing as Evelyn let go of a loud groan.

"Come on, Doc, let's get you out of here." Jack placed his hand out in front of the girl to help her stand up, which she gratefully took with a smile.

"Chief didn't actually say anything did he?" Evelyn questioned almost knowingly.

"Not a thing." Jack responded rather smugly.