FORTY

» [home- cavetown] «
0:48 ─〇───── -3:41
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Evelyn couldn't believe it when Jack told her that the SSR was going to arrest Peggy. She couldn't fully wrap her head around what Peggy may have done to get her arrested.

She knew that Peggy knew the whereabouts of Howard and was helping him attempted to clear his name. But Evelyn knew about Howard, she too had contact with the man and even let him sleep at her house.

"Let me talk to her first." Evelyn spoke up as she turned to face Jack. They were waiting out back of L&L automat. "I can get her to reason with me. She trusts me."

"She's currently a criminal, Evie." Jack responded. "You're lucky to even be here. There's no way that I'm letting you talk to her."

Evelyn rolled her eyes and walked in through the back of the automat, despite Jack's disapproving shouts. Her eyes flickered over the unconscious agents before looking at Peggy,

"Peg, what is going on?" She questioned, placing her hand out to stop Peggy from rushing off.

"Too much to explain in such little time, Bernie." Peggy announced as she ran through the back door before Evelyn could even warn her that Jack was stood outside.

"Stop." Jack leant against a stair well and motioned for Evelyn to come and stand beside him.

Evelyn looked hesitatant at first, but Peggy nodded, silently telling her that it would be better if she was by Jack's side. Lord knows they could use her help if she got arrested.

"Right there, Carter. No sudden movements." Jack spoke, placing his hand on Evelyn's waist as Peggy raised her hands and Jarvis ran out of the back door. "Ah. Those idiots from D.C. didn't believe me when I said you'd be hard to grab."

"What's happening, Jack?" Peggy questioned as the man walked closer to her.

Evelyn just remained where she was stood, her head lowered to avoid eye contact with everyone. She knew that Peggy wouldn't have done anything to hurt anyone. She was too good of a person.

"Witness places you with Brannis the night he died, there's a photo of you in the club the night Spider Raymond was killed, and here you are with your best friend, Howard Stark's butler." Jack explained as he motioned towards Jarvis.

"I-I think there's been a terrible misunderstanding-" Jarvis spoke up, his voice shaking as he did so.

Evelyn wanted to go over to the man, who was practically her family. She wanted to tell him that everything would be okay and that he didn't have a reason to panic.

"Stuff it." Jack snapped.

"You've got it all wrong." Peggy attempted to tell the man.

"Then turn yourself in. Come to the office and tell me all about it. Heck, I'll even let Evie sit in the room with us." Jack motioned back to Evelyn.

The brown haired girl looked up at the mention of her name. She took a small step forward, placing her hand on Jack's bicep. He looked down to the girl momentarily, he didn't want to upset her or even hurt her. But Peggy was a suspect in their case, it didn't matter that she was Evelyn's closest friend, she needed to be brought in.