TWENTY

» [good old fashioned lover boy- queen] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:04
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Evelyn jumped once she heard a loud crash come from her upstairs bedroom. She looked around anxiously, she had sent home her body guards for the night so now she was completely alone.

She looked around for something to grab before reaching out and grabbing a fire poker. The brunette slowly made her way upstairs and to the guest bedroom where she heard the clash from.

Howard let out a loud yell once he saw the girl running towards him with the fire poker held high. He placed his hands out in front of his face and cowered back.

"It's just me, Bernie." Howard jumped up from his crouched position on the floor, Evelyn shook her head at the man before pushing him backwards.

"You scared me, you asshat." She shouted angrily. "You know you're not allowed in this room."

She looked around at the guest room, which wasn't really a guest room at all. Instead it was the room where she stored all of Bucky and Steve's belongings. She knew Bucky never had the chance to return, but Steve could always come home. All they had to do was find him and she wanted all his things waiting for him.

"I'm sorry, alright. I just needed somewhere to hide out." Howard's dusted his suit down, before looking at the girl and smirking. "Come and give your old pal a hug?"

Evelyn rolled her eyes but jumped into Howard's arms. She'd miss the man dearly. Howard wrapped his arms around the girls waist and span them around.

They met at his exhibition back in 1943, she walked back stage to meet him whilst Bucky took his and Steve's date dancing and Steve tried his luck becoming a soldier.

Evelyn walked up to Howard with so much confidence, she took one look at him and analysed everything, She knew that the car he claimed would be able to fly in a few years was already made and probably stored somewhere safe, knowing the world probably wasn't ready for that just yet.

He remembered the way she introduced herself, she was walking away from him and shouted 'I'm Evelyn Bernadette Barnes, you'll do well to remember that name.' He admired her confidence, although he didn't really expect to see her again until he met Steve Rogers.

"I've missed you." Evelyn whispered into the crook of his neck, as he gently placed her down. His hands cupped her face and he placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

After Bucky's death Howard felt extremely protective over the girl. He made sure that he kept her safe, he gave her a place to live with no rent or anything that she had to pay for. He took care of her.

"Can I stay here for tonight?" Howard questioned softly as his hands rested on the girls bicep.

"Of course, I mean it's your house, Howard, stay as long as you need." Evelyn whispered as she pulled out one of Bucky's sweaters and pulled it over her head.

Howard didn't miss the way she brought the sweater up to her nose. It had been years since Bucky's death. But he knew that she would hold on to everything he owned for as long as she could.

"No, Bernie, it's your house. You live here. You decorated it. It's yours." Howard insisted as he guided the girl out of the guest bedroom. He'd rather sleep on the couch or one of the many other guest rooms so that he didn't upset her.

"You pay for-" A knock at the door cut her off, causing her to furrow her brows in confusion. She wasn't expecting anyone tonight.

"Are you expecting guests?" Howard questioned curiously, causing the girl to shake her head in response.

Evelyn pulled away from Howard and motioned for him to go and hide whilst she rushed downstairs to answer her door. She let out a heavy sigh once she saw Jack standing there with his head hung low.

"I think you should come to the office." Jack whispered, his eyes flickering up and down the girl. She wore silk shorts and one of Bucky's sweaters.

"It's nearly one in the morning, Jack. Is something wrong?" Evelyn questioned furrowing her brows, she was still angered with him earlier for threatening The Jarvis' with immigration.

Jack ran his hand over his face, he blinked back the tears that formed in his eyes. He wasn't close with Krzeminski, but he was still a good person.

"I think that the agents will really need someone to talk to right now." He announced as he avoided eye contact with the girl.

"Jack, I can't do anything or help anyone until I know what the situation is. What is happening?" Evelyn questioned a little more sternly.

He let out a shaky breath, he wanted to reach out for her hand and comfort her, he knew that she and Krzeminski were friends of sorts. But he also knew that she would pull away from him right now.

"It's Krzeminski." Jack blurted. "He's umm- he's-I'm so sorry, Evie, he's dead."

Evelyn gasped and covered her mouth, feeling tears sting her eyes. She slowly nodded, she cleared her throat and took a deep breath. She allowed her hand to fall back to her side before looking towards Jack.

"Give me a minute to get changed and I'll be right with you." Evelyn announced as she stepped back inside and closed the door.

She rushed upstairs and instantly ran into Howard's arms. The man's hand cupped the back of her head and he held her tightly. He felt her tears dampen his shirt.

"Krzeminski's dead." Evelyn sniffled.

After getting changed, Evelyn climbed into the passenger seat of Jack's car. That was when she noticed the flowers on his dashboard. She turned to face him with a raised brow.

"Are those for a lady friend?" Evelyn questioned light heartedly.

Jack cleared his throat awkwardly. He grabbed the flowers and placed them on her lap before staring up the engine and saying,

"They were for you, as an apology. But it didn't seem like the right time." He responded truthfully.

"Can I ask you something?" Evelyn questioned as she turned to face the man, causing him to hum in response. "Would you have actually called immigration on Eddie and Ana?"

Jack pursed his lips, taking a quick glance at Evelyn who was fiddling the Bucky's sweater that she had decided to bring with her. He didn't question it, instead he hoped that it brought her some comfort.

"No, I couldn't hurt you like that." Jack paused. "I just needed him to talk. I'm sorry."