THIRTY

» [unsteady- x ambassadors] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:24
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Evelyn sat across from Chief Dooley with a small smile on her face, she linked her hands together and leant back in her chair. She pursed her lips and questioned,

"What's the matter?"

Chief Dooley ran his hand over his face frustratedly. Although the shredded to let Peggy go on the mission, he was still anxious about it. He still didn't know how to feel about it.

"Have I made the right choice?" He questioned softly. "Sending Carter, I mean."

"I think Agent Carter is one of our best agents, I wasn't just saying that because Agent Thompson was in the room with us. I've worked beside Peggy for the past 3 years, she's probably one of the best and strongest people I've worked with." Evelyn responded honestly. 

Chief Dooley didn't exactly seem reassured by her response. Evelyn ran tongue over her bottom lip before scrunching up her nose and saying,

"Agent Carter will have the best men working along side her, some of your best agents as well as the 107th. She is more than capable of looking after herself as well as every man on that mission."

Evelyn always thought highly of Peggy and made sure that people knew that she was more than capable of anything that anyone wanted her to do.

"Sir, if it would ease your mind, I could join them on the mission. I know the 107th well due to my brother, they respect me as well as Peggy. Plus I can be someone to keep an eye on the men and make sure that Peggy is okay."

"I'm not too sure about that, Doc. It's bad enough sending one woman out let alone two-"  Chief Dooley was cut off by Evelyn.

"Will all due respect sir, I believe that Peggy and myself are more than capable. Agent Thompson has been teaching me how to use a gun, Agent Sousa taught me how to put up a good fight as well as my brother before he died. I believe that I'm more than qualified."

Chief Dooley narrowed his eyes as he looked at the girl. She made a fair point. All the men at SSR respected Evelyn, they listened to her. And so would the 107th because of Bucky.

"Okay, you can go." Chief Dooley nodded hesitantly, causing Evelyn to smile widely at the man.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." Evelyn jumped up and span around, throwing her arms up happily. She rushed over to Chief Dooley, wrapping her arms around the man and placing a kiss against his cheek.

Chief Dooley turned bright red at the action. He quickly became flustered and dismissed the girl away with a chuckle.

"Chief Dooley, Sir. Would it be at all possible if you don't tell Agent Thompson?" Evelyn linked her hands together and rocked back and forth on her heels.

"Ahh." Chief Dooley slowly nodded. "So, you and hi-"

"Oh, no. No, sir." Evelyn quickly shook her head. She hadn't spoke to Jack since the other night.

She lowered her head and let out a shaky breath. Anxiously she picked at her nails before looking up to Chief Dooley. The man's brows were furrowed causing his wrinkles to be more prominent.

"Jack and I are just co-workers." It pained the girl to say that she and Jack weren't even friends. Before the other night she would have called them friends, but with the way that he spoke to her, it wasn't acceptable.

"He's particularly fond of you, you know that right?" Chief Dooley questioned softly as he leant forward to talk to Evelyn.

He saw the girl as a daughter, she had this kind of aura about her. Whenever she walked into a room, he instantly smiled, everyone did.

"Oh, I don't know about that, Chief." Evelyn nervously chuckled. Her tongue ran over her bottom lip and her eyes flickered outside of Chief Dooley's office. She offered a small smile towards Jack, who was already looking at her.

Jack waved back once he noticed the girls smile. He hated himself for what he did and said to her. She didn't deserve that. She was an incredible person and deserved to be respected. What he did was unacceptable.

Chief Dooley laughed, causing Evelyn to turn and face him with raised brows. She took a seat on the arm of the chair and tilted her head slightly.

"The man can never take his eyes off of you. Sometimes he just asks me to pretend that I've sent you to him. He loves spending time with you." Chief Dooley smirked. "But don't tell him that I told you that."

Evelyn playfully tapped her nose, silently telling Chief Dooley that she wouldn't say a word.

"Will you be okay with the 107th?" Chief Dooley questioned curiously.

"Those men are like my brothers." Evelyn attempted to smile. She loved The Howling Commandos, they always looked out for her, especially after Bucky.

"But they're not Sargent Barnes." Chief Dooley slowly stood up and made his way over to the girl.

The brunette nodded her head. He was right, they weren't Bucky, or Steve. But they made her feel like she was with them again.

"I'm meant to be the therapist, Chief, not you." Evelyn light heartily joked.

"Some times even the therapist needs therapy." Chief Dooley responded as he pulled the girl into his chest and gave her a tight hug.

Evelyn closed her eyes and relaxed into the man. He was only a little bit taller than she was, but it felt nice to be hugged by him. It was like being hugged by her father again.

Jack knocked on the door and looked between the pair. His eyes softened once he saw the unshed tears in Evelyn's eyes. He cleared his throat and stepped forward as Chief Dooley and Evelyn pulled apart.

"Chief, we need to talk." Jack announce. "Evie, I think Marge wanted you." He pointed behind him, causing the girl to nod and quickly leave the office.