TWENTY THREE

» [i hear a symphony-cody fry] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:16
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Evelyn was the first in the office, which wasn't unusual. She liked getting there slightly earlier than everyone else so that she could just hide away in her office until someone came to see her.

"Evie." Jack shouted from The Chief's office, causing the girl to jump in response.

Her hand instantly went over her heart and she let go of a deep breath, causing Jack to chuckle in response. He motioned for her to come to the office, which she did.

"Is everything okay? Where's Chief Dooley?" Evelyn questioned once she noticed that he wasn't in his office.

Jack smuggly smirked before taking a seat in Chief Dooley's chair. Evelyn wasn't ever in Chief Dooley's office often but she knew that he didn't like people sitting on his chair.

"He's gone to interview a Nazi and left me in charge." Jack placed his feet up on the desk and relaxed back into his chair, his hands rested behind his head as a smirk played on his face. "You're looking at the new Chief for a few days."

Evelyn giggled at his words before making her way around the desk. She pushed his feet off the table and sat down on the desk. She ran her tongue over her bottom lip before asking,

"So what are you going to do with this new found power, Chief?" Evelyn whispered, she watched as his eyes flickered up and down her.

Jack slowly pulled his chair closer to her. He placed his hands on the backs of her thighs, causing her breath to hitch slightly. His grip tightened before he pulled her closer to him.

"I might order you to dance for me." Jack whispered, his eyes had gone dark, he bit his bottom lip as he looked up at her.

Her lips were parted and her breathing was slow. She couldn't take her eyes of his lips. She desperately wanted to feel them against hers. She wondered what it would be like, how soft his lips truly were.

"I might also get you to stay here with me all day, we can order all the agents around after you. Get some of the men to bring you coffee." Jack whispered, grabbing Evelyn's hand and placing a soft kiss on her knuckles.

Evelyn slowly stood up, causing Jack to have to crane his neck back to look up at the girl. His hands travelled up from her thighs to her small waist. She brought her hand up and slowly ran her fingers through his hair, causing him to close his eyes in bliss.

"What's your first order, Chief?" Evelyn whispered, causing his grip on her waist to tighten. He pulled her down into his lap, causing her to let go of a small giggle.

"You're staying in here, with me, all day." He whispered, his warm breath hitting the back of her neck, causing a shiver to travel down her spine. "But first, we gotta tell these goons what to do." He motioned to all the agents who had slowly made their way their desks.

Evelyn slowly stood up, Jack following in suit, he shrugged off his blazer and threw it onto the back of his chair before walking out of the office and saying,

"Gather 'round. Come on." He motioned for all the agents to come closer. "Okay, who here knows what Ray Krzeminski's middle name was?"

"Walter." Sousa answered quickly, before Evelyn could even say a word.

She knew everyone's middle name, as well as their birthdays. She knew everything about them and was proud of herself for that. There wasn't ever a time where she missed somebodies birthday.

"That's right. Walter. Ray Walter Krzeminski." Jack nodded, pointing towards Sousa. "And who knows what the most important part of Agent Ray Walter krzeminski's name was?"

"W-Walter?" Yauch shrugged, he really was just taking a shot in the dark.

"No." Jack paused, waiting for another response.

"Agent." Evelyn whispered, looking up to the man through her lashes.

Jack smiled in response. He was glad that she was going to spend the whole day with him. He liked having her by his side. Everything about it just seemed easy and natural.

"That's my girl." He uttered, placing his hand on the small of her back. "Agent. Just like all of us. Now, Chief Dooley's gone to break a lead in the Stark case. And while he's gone, I'm in charge."

Jack paused and looked at everyone's reactions. Nobody seemed only upset with the idea. But he could tell they were jealous at the fact that Chief Dooley didn't leave them in charge.

"And while I'm in charge, none of you will be resting. So pick up your phones, make kissy noises to your wives, 'cause we're not going home until we start cracking heads. And if you get tired, remember how important your names are...agents."

Evelyn knew that Jack didn't have anyone to go home too, much like herself. It was why he didn't mind working late nights, or going to visit Evelyn at late hours.

"Now, form a single-file up to my office, and I'll give you your individual assignments. Come on." Jack looked down at Evelyn and motioned for her to enter the office first.

Evelyn sat down on the edge of the desk, Jack smirked up to her. He could get used to the idea of her staying by his side at all times. Of her being his second in command. He could only imagine how powerful of a woman she would be.

"Where does he think he's going?" Jack questioned as he watched Sousa pull on his blazer. "Hey, Sousa, where do you think you're going?"

Evelyn grabbed Jack's blazer and pulled it on. She missed being engulfed by his familiar scent. Something about it made her feel safe. She watched as Jack's eyes flickered back to her, causing him to shoot her a playful wink as he waited for Sousa's response.

"To do some real police work, o' man of action." Sours responded.

"Hey, Sousa, you know, now that Krzeminski's dead, that makes you our biggest yo-yo." Jack paused. "Marge, start taking the lunch orders."

"You do realise that Peggy is an agent too right?" Evelyn questioned curiously. "She's more than capable of handling something other than a lunch order."

Jack placed his hand on the girls thigh, humming response as he said,

"Maybe next time."