FORTY EIGHT

» [do you believe in magic?- the lovin' spoonful] «
0:48 ─〇───── -1:17
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Evelyn walked out of her office, she hadn't left since Jack had been in or allowed anyone to come in for that matter. Every time she thought about Jack, she turned bright red and her knees felt weak at what they had just done.

Jack smirked once he saw the girl, he allowed his eyes to flicker up and down her body. Her hair wasn't messy anymore, she had clearly spent the past hour trying to perfect her look again to act as if they hadn't done anything.

The brunettes breath hitched once she saw the man, she couldn't help but feel drawn towards him. She slowly made her way to sit beside him on the desk he was leaning against. She felt his pinky gently brush against hers, causing her to look up at him, but he didn't say or do anything.

"Chief Dooley?" Peggy stormed out of the briefing room. "Chief Dooley, I'd like to make a confession."

"I already got the confession I need." Chief Dooley responded.

"It's a fake." Peggy insisted, causing Chief Dooley to sharply glare at Evelyn.

She was normally the one to tell him if things were fake. She told him when someone was lying or withholding information. But this time, she just stayed quiet.

Jack placing his hand over Evelyn's and stood up. He protectively stood in front of her, knowing full well that if Peggy was right and the confession was fake, Evelyn could lose her job.

"Why are you pulling this, Carter?" Jack questioned, clenching his jaw slightly.

"Howard Stark isn't coming. The confession is a phoney, the signature a forgery." Peggy spoke fast, which made Evelyn anxious.

The only reason Peggy ever talked in such a fast pace was if something was wrong. Evelyn wrapped her hand around Jack's wrist and slowly stood up, resting her head on his bicep to analyse Peggy's every movement.

"Agent Carter-" Chief Dooley was almost instantly cut off by Peggy.

"It's Miss Carter. I don't work here anymore, but if you want a confession, if you want the truth, I'm ready to give it to you." Peggy looked across to Evelyn, it pained her to see the girl look so vulnerable.

"Chief, I think we should listen to her." Evelyn spoke softly so that she didn't appear to be telling him what to do. She knew that Chief Dooley's didn't particularly like her at the minute.

Chief Dooley looked towards Evelyn and clenched his jaw. He nodded, not that he wanted to listen to what the girl suggested. But he knew it was more than likely the right thing to do.

"It killed me. I'd managed to discover all the remaining items from Howard Stark's vault, and there was nothing I could do about it. But I knew Agent Sousa was working that day. At least he would get the credit." Peggy spoke calmly.

Jack placed his hand over Evelyn's bobbing leg, trying to calm her nerves. Evelyn smiled in response and placed her hand over his. She began to trace patterns on the top of his hand as she focused on what Peggy was saying.

"We left the ship moments before you arrived. I didn't know what was going to happen to Agent Krzeminski. I could have been more careful. I'm going to have to live with that." She continued.