Chapter 8

Karla's pov

After I'm done washing the plates, i choose a seat besides Mum at the dinning table.
She seems lost in deep thought whiles drinking her berry juice.

"Mom?" I call out.

She's startled but says,
"Oh, um, your back? Ok uh, sit down."

And well, I sit.

"Where do I even start?"
She asks, rubbing her hands together.

"Ok let's start from the basics.
Yeah? "

And I just nod

"Mr.Richards, well Johnathan Killian Richards, was one of your dad's college friends, he was a junior and your was in his last year. Your father, introduced me to him a few years after we started hanging out.

At the time, your father had already started Le Flor's Brooklyn branch,ohnathan joined your dad's buisness, he joined the managing and finance group.

The buisness was booming, getting better and better, and they had just gotten their first ever international buissness deal. They were supposed to send the flower's to some kingdom in some part of Europe but something went wrong with the flower's storage freezer a few days before the shipping.

Unfortunately, most of them died out of 500,000 flowers, one-third of  the flower's remained. It was one of their fails as a company, especially since it was all over the media. They lost a lot of money.

When they investigated, it showed that the storage fridge's ice was supposed to be replaced but someone did not change it and this went against Richards because he was the managing director of operations. Your father made one of the hardest decisions he's ever made ; he fired Johnathan.

Johnathan was angry just over the top pissed. He couldn't believe that your father had fired him, one of the best workers and his friend had been fired  due to the incompetence of the other workers. Your father told him in the kindest way possible but Johnathan was young still new to the buissness world and didn't understand.

So he built his own company. One of the best selling flower companies in the continent;
RichardsandCo. Taking all your father's best clients and gradually    breaking the company down till now. It is officially bankrupt." She says ending with a sob.

"What do you mean Le Flor is   bankrupt?" I ask.

Yes it is bankrupt. The investors have stopped investing and clients have stopped buying.

Before the accident, that
morning there was a meeting which was held to talk about LeFlor. They, the board, said that we are going down drastically and if in two years we don't get back on our feet they'll stop funding.

I start  to say, "B-but that means.... they stopped investing............"

........Two years ago."she says ending my sentence.

And i sit there shocked.
In just pure shock. How didn't I notice? How didn't I know?
From the glances to the words to the arguments to the weirdest explanations?To the late work hours and the stacks of papers?Even those weird bills?

"I should have known, I should have helped" I muttered.

She takes my hand,
"Sweetie, there was and is nothing you could do or could have done, but to continue with your studies, enjoy your life!

I wanted all of you to be happy and not have to worry but our dear Marcus was all too smart,*chuckles*, he found out and he's been working since."

"What about Jimena's surgery, Ma? Where will we get the money from to pay the rest of the fees?" I ask starting to panick.

"Hey, calm down, okay?
I'm still working at the firm so by then I'll have enough to pay for the 45% left."
She says.

"I also want to help mom I have savings and can work double shifts at the library."

I say and continue,
"Before you say that I should stop worrying and enjoy my early college years. I won't and I can't because she's my sister and your my mother the only parent I have left and I love you both so much. Besides what kind of a daughter and sister would one if didn't help?"

"Mom?" I call out.
She hmm's.

"What proposal was he talking about?"

She rubs her hands together and says some words in Akan,
"Saa Bemma nso ɔha dwin dodow! Adɛn nti na ɔha yɛn saa?! Bemma bɛn sosoo?
Dabiaa wɔde ntokwa beba "

(TL: That man too, he is soooo annoying! Why is he always bothering us? What kind of man is this one too? Everytime he brings a problem.)

If I wasn't so dull and sad I'd be laughing but right now I need answers.

She drinks some water first.

Last 2 and a half years ago I went to his office to see if I could try and end the feud because what was the point anymore.

When were discussing he told me that he'll offer me a proposal.
It was a contract which states the merging of the two companies through Marriage.
It states that when my first born daughter is 19 she will get married to his first born son in order for him to help the company."

"That's stupid. I don't think we even need his help and even if we accepted it, Jimena is well, she's Jimena and won't agree. Plus she can't get married in this state and to some random man!"
I said.

"I know it is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. He told me that because of her current 'situation' he'll be 'merciful' onto us and
you'll be the one who will get married instead. And I slapped him so hard and told him that he should shove his proposal up his ******.
I cannot do that to her or to you.  Both of you deserve more than this and all the happiness the world can offer." She says wiping away the stray tears.

And I hug her tightly.

"It's going to be alright" I coo as I rub her back.
"It will be alright."

At this point I don't know if I'm saying this to reassure myself or I'm trying to reassure her but I keep on saying nothing but reassuring words.

A/N :
#1024words

Yes, I know this was really sad.
Really sad.
This chapter was to touch on struggles of families, whether you are rich or poor or in the middle class. The money problems affect everyone.
Who would have known a piece of designed paper or metals are what people are dying for.

Anyways comment your thoughts and all.
Mkay, bye!!!