sixteen -edited-

The next few days I had resorted to ignoring Jacob and the rest of the boys, not wanting to put myself, or Bella in any danger. Due to not being around the boys, I haven't been able to sleep, purple bags sit under my eyes permanently now. I had tried to get some sleep last night because today's the day Bella and I go on her hike. We walk into the clearing of wilted flowers and dead grass. I look up and a man with dark skin and red eyes stands across the field. I take a step back as my breath catches in my throat. "Bella." The man speaks, catching my sister's attention as she pushes herself off the ground. "Laurent." She breathes his name.

"I didn't expect to find you here. I went to visit the Cullens, but the house is empty. I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you sort of a pet of theirs?" His thickly accented voice taunts her as he closes in. He's just over a yard away as I step in front of Bella. No matter where he turns or how he moves, I try to keep Bella hidden behind me. I'm not exactly short, but I'm not that tall either, but I'm tall enough to keep my sister almost completely hidden. I'm no match for the man, and I can tell as I see his muscles from under his almost tight-fitting clothing. I can tell he's talking but I ignore every word. I don't understand his eyes, they're vibrant but... red?

Within seconds he's in front of us, pulling me away from her before taking her face in his hands. "Bella, I would be doing you a kindness. Victoria plans on killing you slowly, painfully, whereas I'll make it quick." He then leans down to where I am on the ground. "I'll even take care of your sister here. She'll feel nothing at all." He lifts me, standing me beside Bella as he raises his hand over his head. I close my eyes, not wanting to imagine what's about to happen to me. I take Bella's hand, squeezing my eyes shut as I mumble. "I'm sorry, Jacob." The man pulls me from my thoughts as he talks. "I don't believe it." I force my eyes open and turn, following his eye line to Sam stalking out of the woods.

His lips are curled up into a snarl as the rest of the pack stalks out behind him. "Oh my God." Bella's eyes widen. Embry scans me over as a large russet wolf comes out, shoulders squaring and muscles flexing after it takes a deep breath. I freeze for a moment, feeling the familiar warmth from when I'm around Jacob when our eyes lock. I realize it's Jacob when I remember he had phased and it's the only wolf I've never seen. He motions me away with his head as he chases after the pack and the man who's running inhumanly fast. Bella takes my arm, pulling me after her into the woods. We run the entire way to the truck as I shove her across the seat to the passenger side. I start driving, pushing the truck to its limit as the engine whines.

"You're gonna ruin my truck!" She growls, continuing to listen to the truck pleading with me to slow down. "I don't give a shit about your truck! We almost died, Isabella!" I snap back, carefully loosening my pressure on the pedal. When we're going at a steady pace that isn't making the truck scream, I turn to her. "Who the fuck was that? How did he move so quickly?" "You don't get it!" She snaps as I look at her again quickly. "Then make me get it!" I snarl before we pull up to the house. We run inside and the first words out of her mouth are, "Dad! I saw them!" My eyes widen and I freeze, not knowing what to do. "Saw what?" "In the woods, they're not bears." "What do you mean in the woods? Bella, what the hell were you doing out in the woods?"

And what makes me absolutely sick is what she says next. "They're wolves! I mean they're, like, huge wolves!" She states as I run to the trashcan, dropping to my knees as I heave. All of my anxiety working its way up, tears rushing down my face when dad asks Harry if he wants to go hunting. I should've told them she went insane or hit her head, or that she was so freaked out the bears looked like wolves, but I froze. I screwed over the entire pack because I couldn't find the balls to say something. The next day, Bella drags me out to Jacob's and as she goes to the door, I run to the yard where Sam, Paul, Jared, and Embry stand.

"You guys need to get out of here. Go!" I push Embry, my hands against his burning stomach. "What's going on?" Embry grabs my wrists, pulling me to him, his hands on my hips before Bella runs out. "What did you do?" She questions as Embry carefully pushes me away from Paul. I ignore the conversation until she slaps Paul. My hand comes up to cover my mouth and I freeze again, Embry's wolf flashing through my mind from before. I take a step back as Paul shifts, paws flying out to attack as I hit the ground. I push myself up on my elbows, trying to get back but I physically can't. All I hear is Jacob's voice. "Elizabeth!" The russet wolf from earlier jumps over me, standing protectively in front of me before attacking Paul.

Fur flies everywhere as my chest constricts, my breathing short and quick as Embry runs over, pulling me up. "Come on. Breathe, 'Lizabeth." He rubs my back, pulling me against his chest. "Get them to Emily's place," Sam commands as he takes off after the two wolves. We pull up to Emily's as Embry picks me up, wrapping my legs around his waist as he walks inside, keeping me in his lap when he sits. Soon enough Paul, Sam, and Jacob come in. Jacob immediately runs to me, swiftly picking me up and wrapping his arms around me. "God." He breathes, his voice coming out relieved. "Jacob," I mumble, burying my head into his shoulder, and holding him to me. "I didn't know what to do. I was so worried." He's quiet, very clearly just wanting to hold me to him.

"I need to talk with Bella, but I'll be back for you as soon as I can." He grabs my face, making me look at him completely before pressing a kiss to my forehead, hesitating before leaving with Bella. The guys stare at me, Embry with a smirk on his face and Sam with a huge smile. "What?" "Jacob." Paul mocks with a laugh as I shove his shoulder. "Shut up." "He really was worried," Sam states, his warm eyes holding sympathy. "His every thought was getting back to you as quickly as possible. All he could think about was the terror on your face when they started fighting." My face goes red as Paul nudges me. "I am sorry. I should've been in control." I shake my head quickly. "Bella shouldn't have hit you. I do have to get going though. Just tell Jacob to come to my house." I smile slightly, knowing I need time to comprehend everything that has happened these past few days.