Chapter 3 Bootstrap's Suspicions

Chapter 3

Bootstrap’s Suspicions

We sailed for several days. According to the map, we should be fairly close to the treasure by now. I sighed impatiently as I gazed out in the deep blue ocean, sitting on the rail with a telescope.

“You know, you shouldn’t be sitting up there,” Barbossa’s voice came from behind. “You might fall off.”

Barely glancing at him I replied, “I’ll be fine. I do this all the time.”

He raised his eyebrow. “Does your mother take you out sailing often?”

I froze, choked for air. I need to be more careful about what I say.

“Every now and then,” I replied quickly. “Not as often I would like.”

He walked up to me and put his hand on my shoulder. I resisted the urge to cringe by his touch.

“It seems like you made the right decision to run away,” he said, gazing out at the sea. “Not to mention you already made a contribution to our crew.”

I held back a sly smile. “I wouldn’t say that until after you have the gold.”

I heard footsteps behind us. As I turned my head I realized we were no longer alone when I observed an average height man with dark curly hair standing behind us.

“What is it, Bootstrap?” Barbossa grumbled as he turned his head.

“I, uh, just wanted to share what I heard concerning the treasure we are seeking,” Bootstrap replied softly. “You see there are stories about the Aztec gold possibly cursing anyone who might steel it.”

I felt my blood flow cold as Barbossa turned his gaze in my direction. “A curse, you say. Aurora, did you know anything about this?”

My mind spun chaotically as I tried to think of the best way around this. “Well, I have heard rumors about a curse, but I’m sure they were just made up to scare people away. Honestly, you don’t believe in ghost stories, do you, Father? Even I am well past believing in stories such as that.”

Barbossa chuckled as he once again patted my shoulder. “Of course not. You’re right, Aurora, it’s all just silly superstition.” He then turned to leave as he said to Bootstrap, “We will seek the treasure as planned. Meanwhile as we sail, I think I will have myself some apples.”

As he walked off I turned my gaze back to the ocean and smirked. Enjoy your apples while you still can, Barbossa.

After a few moments, I realized Bootstrap was still standing behind me, looking at me with suspicion.

“What is it?” I demanded as I turned to face him.

“That map is quite valuable, especially to pirates,” he stated as he slowly walked up closer to where I sat. “I wonder how it randomly wound up in your hands of all people.”

“I already told you, I found it.”

“Was it your mother’s,” Bootstrap asked.

“I don’t know, maybe,” I answered in discomfort as I felt myself slip.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me up, gently setting me on the floor, and then asked, “How is Alyson? It’s been quite some time since I last saw her.”

“Um, she’s fine,” I replied quietly avoiding eye contact.

Bootstrap starred out at the sea, in remembrance. “I will never forget the day she left with you, right after your father became captain. It seemed so strange to me. Ever since your mother married your father and joined the crew, she wanted nothing more than your father to be captain.”