Chapter 18 Treachery

Chapter 18

Treachery

            Will and I walked quietly through the halls of Sao Feng’s bathhouse quietly so we would go unnoticed. I am still unclear on the actual plan. Barbossa seemed to purposely keep the details from me, likely because he does not trust me, not that I myself trust him.

            “I still cannot believe how everyone is so willingly following Barbossa,” I grumbled to Will in a whisper.

            Will sighed as we went under the floor door to hid. “I will not go as far to say I am thrilled about it, but I will do whatever it takes to get the Pearl so I can free my father.”

            “What makes you think Barbossa even wants to save Jack in the first place?” I demanded. “Jack was the one that killed him, remember? He probably is secretly planning revenge on him for that, and me too for that matter.”

            As we walked back out of the door, Will answered, “Tia Dalma chose him for a reason. Maybe somehow he’s the only one who can find Jack.”

            Two guards turned the corner and we were forced to hide behind a set of curtains. Once they were gone we continued down the same path.

            I let out a huff. “I suppose you could be right. Still, I think we should come up with a plan to get rid of him once we get to Jack, if we ever get to him that is. Why are we even here in the first place? Sao Feng hates me.”

            “Perhaps that’s why Barbossa wanted you to keep a low profile here,” Will suggested, as we once again had to hide.

            Once we got back in the open I muttered, “Either that or he’s planning on exchanging me for whatever we need here.”

            “Why does Sao Feng despise you anyway,” Will asked conveniently changing the subject.

            I scratched my head trying to recall. “Oh I don’t know, Davy Jones wanted me to try to get him to make a deal, giving up some of his crew to the Dutchman in exchange for mounds of treasure, making him the wealthiest man on sea. He was not exactly thrilled when Jones took some of his men and I had no such treasure to give him.”

            “Imagine that,” Will muttered.

            As we continued on down the hall, I continued. “Oh, and also there was something about trying to get one of the nine pieces of eight from him but I could not find it.”

            Once I spoke that last statement I noticed Will look more purposely downward as though he were intentionally keeping something from me. Now I knew just what it was.

            “That’s it, isn’t it?” I demanded swinging my body around to look at him. “That is why we came here, to get the piece of eight Sao Feng supposedly has.”