Chapter 21 Maternal Verses Paternal Advice

Chapter 21
Maternal Verses Paternal Advice

    My feet remained planted on the ground as my body was in too shocked a state to even move. I fixated my eyes on my mother still unable to accept what appeared right in sight. How could my own mother marry that man?

    “Sweetheart,” my mother spoke quite calmly to her new husband, placing her hand on his shoulder. “I think it would be better if my daughter and I spoke separately.”

    “Of course,” Lord Becket replied, turning to Jack. “Mr. Sparrow and I have some catching up of our own to do.”

    Mother then held out her hand to me. “Come along, darling.”

    I turned my head to Jack, desperate for some way out of this but he had nothing to offer. Slowly, I stepped towards my mother as she continued to motion her hand. Jack held up his hand momentarily as though he did not want me to go, but neither of us could think of a way out of it. With no other options, I followed my mother into the room across the hall, which appeared quite similar to the one we were just in.

    Mother then beckoned her hand to the small table in the center of the room. “Please, have a seat, Aurora.”

    Without a word, I sat down. The first thing that caught my eye on the table was a bottle of what I assumed to be Brandy.

    Mother, noticing my gaze, spoke, “You can have some if you like. Normally, it is not appropriate for ladies to drink during the day, but considering how all this must come as a shock to you…”

    Still unable to get any words out, I grabbed the bottle and poured some Brandy in one of those ridiculously small glasses sitting on the table.

      Mother sat down across from me and smiled. “It is good to see you, Aurora.”

      I glared at her for a moment and then chugged down the Brandy before finally being able to mumble, “Why would you marry him, Mother?”

      She sighed, resting her hand on the table. “Aurora, do you remember the last thing I promised you? I understand it was quite a long time ago and you were very young.”

      “I remember,” I muttered ready to pour myself another glass.

      “Darling, do not drink too much,” Mother cautioned which only resulted in another glare from me. She continued, “Anyway, not a day passed when I did not think of you or forget the promise I made. Now, this way, you are forever free of the Dutchman.”

      I stared at her in disbelief. “You actually expect me to live here with you and a man who has been hunting down my kind for years? I would rather be back on the Flying Dutchman!”

      “You cannot possibly mean that, Aurora,” Mother protested.

      I immediately retorted, “You cannot possibly expect me to live here, Mother. I am a pirate. I have been one my whole life.”

      “Not anymore, I’m afraid.” Mother folded her hands together. “Aurora, listen to me. Piracy is not a practical way to live. They are dying out as we speak.”

      “No thanks to your new husband,” I grumbled, leaning back in the chair, crossing my arms. “Are you going to explain to me how you got him to marry you in the first place, considering your first husband was a pirate?”

      She let out a sigh. “I suppose you would not believe me if I told you we fell in love.”

      “No,” I answered flatly. “Now, tell me the truth.”

      “Alright then,” Mother began softly and gradually. “I was the one who informed Becket of the heart of Davy Jones in the first place and gave him enough information to point him in the right direction of finding it.” She paused to take in a deep breath before adding, “I also told him that since you have lived aboard the Dutchman most of your life you would know the secrets of the ship along with all the seas.”

      “So you used me,” I concluded, as the reality of what my mother had done finally sunk in, “again.”

      Mother reached her hand across the table to me. “I never used you, Aurora. I first struck that deal with Davy Jones before you were even conceived. I never considered the possibility that I would one day have a child.”

      “But Jones did,” I muttered, “or else he would have never accepted your offer.”

      “Aurora please,” she continued on, her brown eyes hopeful. “I know I messed up before but I am trying to make everything right now. You will get use to living here, I promise.”

      I opened my mouth to protest, but before I could say anything, the door bursts open and Jack appeared behind it.

      “Ready to go?” he asked motioning his thumb over his shoulder. “I could wait if you two need to finish up.”

      I stood up, shaking my head. “No, we are fine. Let’s go.”

      “Aurora, wait!” Mother pleaded desperately as she too rose up. “Don’t leave. Where are going to go, back to your father? He does not care about you.”

      I turned back around to face her and snapped back, “The only reason he hates me now is because I cursed him, which I only did because I thought he was the one who sold me out to Jones. But, as you and I both know, that’s not true.” I turned back towards the door and muttered, “Goodbye, Mother.”

      “Aurora, please!” She grabbed my arm. “My husband is giving you just one chance to come willingly. If he captures you later, it will not go well for you. Trust me.”

      I jerked my arm away. “Well, then I just will not let him capture me.”

      As I was about to walk out with Jack, I quickly turned back to grab the bottle of Brandy, figuring I would probably need later, and muttered to him, “Souvenir.”

      Jack nodded with approval and then turned back to my mother with a brief bow. “So lovely to see you again, Alyson.”

      As Mother just glared at him, I grabbed Jack’s arm firmly, dragging him forward. “Let’s get out of here.”

      He nodded and took my hand as we both made our escape. Becket made an attempt to stop us with his men, but Jack was too cunning, as always. All I really did was keep a hold of his hand and the next thing I knew we were swinging back to the Pearl.

      Once we both were aboard, Jack immediately ordered Will to be thrown in the prisons below deck. I, still feeling slightly dazed, walked past Barbossa, who lightly grabbed my arm stopping me.

      “What did Becket want with you?” Barbossa asked.

      “He just thought I should be put back on the Dutchman where I belong… Father,” I mumbled, keeping my eyes down.

      Once his hand fell down, releasing me, I began to walk away with slight tremble. I realized that was the first time I actually called him Father since he had been brought back from the dead. I did not even bother to turn around and catch his reaction. Right now, what I needed more than anything was to be alone.

xXx

    For the next few hours, or at least it felt like hours, I sat alone below deck with the bottle of Brandy I stole earlier, which was now close to half empty. The memories of earlier were slightly numb by now, as the shock had gone down. I still do not know what to do this moment. Part of me wanted to talk to Will, thinking that may somehow help, but he remained locked up, unless he has escaped by now.

    Just as I began to lean my head on the wall to sleep, I heard footsteps coming down, closer to where I sat. I slowly turned my head, feeling a brief dizziness and saw Barbossa approaching me.

    I leaned my head against the wall and looked up at him. “What are you doing here?”

    He walked over beside me and shrugged. “You have not been up to criticize me as captain or attempt to start a mutiny in a while, not to mention you actually called me Father. I guess I was getting a bit concerned.” His eyes moved to the bottle. “I see you have been keeping yourself busy.”

    “I took it from Becket’s,” I muttered, trying to hide the slur in my tone.

    Barbossa reached out his hand. “Maybe you should give that to me.”

    I held the bottle up away from him with one hand and pointed a revolver at him with the other.

    He held both hands up and began to turn around. “Fine.”

    My mind fogged, I giggled and replied, “It’s not even loaded.” I pressed down, making it click and added, “See?”

    He let out an impatient breath and demanded, “Are you going to tell me what really happened with Becket? I know you were lying earlier.”

    I took a sip from the bottle and shook my head. “You are not going to like it.”

    “Aurora,” he insisted, giving me a look.

    When I still offered no response he huffed and began to leave.

    I took in a big gulp of Brandy before finally admitting, “She married him. Becket, I mean.”

    Barbossa turned back and asked, “Who married Becket.”

    “Alyson,” I muttered, barely able to get the name out.

    At first, my father looked at me as though I may be lying, but then took a moment to study to current state I was in. As realization hit him, he sank down in the seat beside me. I glanced at him, feeling I should do something to comfort him. Since that was not exactly my area of expertise I went with the first thing that came to mind, handing him my bottle of Brandy.

    He took in a gulp before asking, “How could she do that?”

    I shrugged and answered bluntly, “For power, I suppose. That does seem to be her greatest concern.”

    Barbossa shook his head. “She was not always like that. It was not until…”

    “Until she realized the possibility of you becoming captain,” I finished as his voice trailed off. We were silent for a few moments and then I added, “Everyone tried to warn me about her… you, Bootstrap, and even Jones, but I did not listen. I guess everyone has to believes their mother cares, or what do they have?”

    “There is still another parent,” he uttered softly.

    I leaned my head back and let out an empty chuckle. “Maybe, but you hate me.” I looked at him and gave him a half smile. “It’s okay, I don’t blame you. I would hate me too, if I were you.”

    “I do not hate you, Aurora,” he replied in a heavy breath. “Believe me, I tried to, but I never could. I suppose it is the blessing and curse of being a father.”

    “Is that really why you did not let Feng kill me?” I asked.

    He shook his head and replied, “Death is the easy way out of everything. Believe me, I know. As your father, I could not allow that fate for you.”

    I chuckled once again leaning closer to him, as my eyes began to drift shut. Considering the events of earlier today, I did not expect to feel this tranquil by the end of the day. The farthest thing from my mind now, was what we would have to do to deal with Becket, and my mother.