Epilogue

Epilogue

    The sunlight beamed blissfully, the sky crystal clear. The ocean stretched out calmly, sparkling from the reflection of the sun. This was indeed a good day to return to the world of the living. Since the Dutchman now serves its original purpose once again the rules have become a bit stricter. I can now only return when Will does.

    I stepped in on the front of the Black Pearl, the place I chose to spend my day, to find my father with one hand on the wheel, the other containing a map. The ship was currently positioned right along the ports of Tortuga.

    Before revealing my presence to him, I walked over to my mother, who sat inside where the captain would normally dine, reading. At the sound of the door opening, her eyes rolled up and she beamed.

    “Aurora!” She immediately rushed over to embrace me. “It is so good to see you.” She then pulled away from me and asked, “But, how are you here?”

    “It is my one day,” I replied, and then tilted my head. “Well, technically it’s Will’s day, but he said I could come back too if I wanted.”

    “Just for a day?” she asked in a tone barely above a whisper.

    I sighed. “Yes, only one day.” As I watched her face fall I tried to sound cheerful. “But hey, it is better than nothing. Most do not even get to come back at all after being stabbed in the gut.”

    “I suppose you‘re right,” Mother muttered in response. “Does your father know you are here?”

    “Not yet.” I peered out the window towards where he stood, still holding the map. “Where is he going?”

    “To the Fountain of Youth,” Mother answers, letting out a lengthy breath. “That has been his recent obsession. He has not let the map out of his sight since obtaining it, or within ten paces of Jack Sparrow.”

    “I think I can do something about that,” I mumbled without thinking.

    Mother turned her head. “What was that, Aurora?”

    “Nothing,” I answer in one breath, as my feet start towards the door. “Let’s go see him.”

    Mother continued to look at me, suspiciously. “Are you up to something, Aurora?”

    I attempt to force my eyes to hers and look innocent. “No, of course not! I only came here to visit my parents on my one day.”

    Still not appearing entirely convinced she sighed. “Well, alright then. I will go get your father.”

    As she went out, calling ‘Hector,’ I took a step back, my eyes on the map. Even as my father walked in, he kept the map in his grasp.

    “There is someone here to see you, Hector,” Mother explained gently, leading him into the room.

    The moment Father’s eyes met mine they lit up.

    “I will give you two a moment,” Mother said as she slipped out the door.

    Father took a step towards me. “Aurora, are you…”

    “It is just for a day,” I finished before he could let his hopes rise too high.

    “Oh,” he sighed, looking down, dolefully for a moment and then gazed back to me. “Aurora, I really wish you hadn’t… you didn’t have to…”

    I raised my brow. “What, save your life?”

    “Die for me,” he finished, firmly. “That should not be on you.”