Chapter 19 Journey to the Locker

Chapter 19
Journey to the Locker

    Just as Sao Feng prepared to pull the trigger, Barbossa interjected, “Wait!”

    I let out a relieved breath. Feng, however, did not loosen his hold on me.

    “Why?” Sao Feng demanded. “From what I hear, she is the one responsible for leading your crew to the cursed treasure.”

    Barbossa sighed. “True as that may be, we still might have need for her if we are going to find Jack Sparrow.”

    In rage, Sao Feng fired the gun straight in the air and flung me to the ground right in front of Barbossa, who merely rolled his eyes and pulled me up to a standing position.

    “Jack Sparrow is dead!” Feng raged.

    “Yes,” Barbossa intervened in a calm tone, “but we believe there might be a way to bring him back.”

    “The only reason I would want Jack Sparrow brought from the Davy Jones’ locker is so I can send him there myself!” Sao Feng fumed, the bathroom steam now appearing to come out of his ears. He glared at me and added, “And you along with him!”

    “Jack Sparrow is believed to be in possession of one of the nine pieces of eight,” Barbossa explained. “We will be needing that if we are going to stand a chance against Lord Becket, now that he possesses the heart of Davy Jones.”

    “Yes, well that particular piece of eight would still be mine if your daughter had not helped Sparrow steal it in the first place,” Feng snapped and then turned to the two girls behind him and said in a softer tone, “More steam.”

    Just as Barbossa turned his head to give me a look, I shot back, “I never helped Jack steal it from you.”

    Sao Feng raised his eyebrow. “Oh, really, so you are going to deny distracting me with your fake promises giving Sparrow the opportunity to sneak in and steal it.”

    “Oh, I forgot Jack was apart of that plan,” I muttered more to myself and then added louder, “Look, I did not know that was what Jack was after at the time. He didn’t tell me.”

    Barbossa put his hand on his head. “Oh for God’s sake, Aurora, when did you even do that?”

    “Right around the time I sent Jack to Port Royal so he could reclaim the Pearl,” I muttered avoiding his eyes.

    Feng sighed and held up the rifle, pointing it directly at me. “Now may I shoot her?”

    I strolled closer to him more boldly. “Fine. Go right ahead.”

    Barbossa grabbed my arm and yanked me back. “Aurora, what are you doing?”

    “I think he really is going to shoot you,” Elizabeth added.

    Just as those words left her lips, Feng did indeed fire only to find that the gun had no more bullets. In fury he thrashed it across the room.

    I smirked. “I only put one bullet in that gun and he fired it at the ceiling.”

    As Barbossa released my arm and let out a relieved breath, I moved closer to Feng. “I think we might have the advantage now.”

    He responded by raising his hand, signaling his men to pull out their swords. His face however appeared startled just a moment later. I took a step back and briefly turned my head to see that both Barbossa and Elizabeth somehow had swords as well. Once again, Barbossa pulled me back next to him and then someone from below threw up a sword for me as well.

      “I suppose this is another part of the plan I am unaware of,” I whispered to Barbossa.

      “You should consider yourself lucky to be alive right now,” he growled back, rolling his eyes.

      Sao Feng then threatened to kill one of our men, his painted tattoos washing away. I let out an irritated huff, as I did not recognize him.

      “Who is he?” I demanded to Barbossa.

      Ignoring me, Barbossa shrugged and replied, “Kill him, he is not one of our men.”

      “Wait,” Will interjected. “If he is not with either you or us then who is he with?”

      His question was soon answered as the door burst open revealing troops of British soldiers, most likely Becket’s men. It appeared that instead of fighting each other we would have to battle them.

      “You do realize you almost ruined the plan,” Barbossa accused as we raised our weapons to right.

      “How was I supposed to know?” I fumed back. “You refused to tell me what the plan even was in the first place!”

      “You’re right,” he grumbled. “I should have known you’d be capable of causing just as much damage while kept in the dark.”   

      “If I am causing that much trouble for you why did you not just let Sao Feng kill me?” I demanded as my swords clashed with one of the soldiers.

      “Momentary lapse in judgment,” he muttered as he battled another man. “I would not be counting on it happening again.”

      “We need to get to the ship,” Gibbs interjected.

      “What ship?” I demanded.

      “The one Sao Feng will be so graciously giving us,” Barbossa answered.

      Of course Sao Feng never agreed to these terms, but the battle had provided us with the opportune moment. This I would not debate with against Barbossa.

      As we ran towards the ship, I paused at the sight of Will and Sao Feng intently discussing something. From my distance, I could not hear. I wonder what they are talking about.

      “Aurora!” Barbossa bellowed. “What are you doing? Get on the ship!”

      As I moved towards him, one of the British soldiers pointed at me and yelled out, “Lord Beckett wants us to take the girl.”

      Two of them tried to grab me. I took one out and Barbossa the other. Both were now lying unconscious.

      Barbossa grabbed my arm and pulled me forward, demanding, “What does Beckett want with you?”

      I jerked away. “How should I know? They might have had me confused with Elizabeth, or maybe he just wants to throw me back on the Dutchman.”

      He sighed and then asked, “What did you see over there just now?”

      “Nothing,” I muttered wanting to find out for myself what Will and Sao Feng were up to before I decide whether or not to tell anyone.

      Before Barbossa could further interrogate me, Will and Elizabeth appeared behind us. Will explained Sao Feng had agreed to cover our escape. Although he appeared slightly suspicious, Barbossa nodded as Will handed him the map and we all got aboard the ship.

xXx

    We covered quite some distance since our departure from Sao Feng’s bathhouse. After a while, I did not even recognize where we were anymore even though I thought I knew all the seas. Most of the time, the ship was quiet. Even Will and Elizabeth hardly ever exchanged conversation. Barbossa remained by the wheel with the charts. The thought that all our fates, including my own, rested within his control now caused me great discomfort. I still could not bring myself to trust him, even though deep down, I mean ocean deep, I knew he had a much better cause not to trust me.

    At this moment, not having had slept much recently, I decided to lie down. My entire body shivered from the piercing cold of our current location. I closed my eyes in attempt to ignore it, but the icy wind was so intense that it hurt. I then heard footsteps approaching closer and a moment later felt a wool blanket thrown over my body. I opened one eye and saw Barbossa walking away. Without a word, I pulled the blanket up over my head and went to sleep.

xXx

    I awoke peacefully, my eyes gazing up to the various stars in the night sky. I do not think I have ever seen this many. When I sat up and looked into the ocean, I saw that their reflections shimmered in the water.

       I wonder where we are now.

    As I stood up, I looked over and saw Will and Elizabeth briefly converse. She seemed to be acting rather distant from him since Jack was taken down with the Pearl. This very moment was no different.

    When Will went below deck I followed in curiosity. I found him with his fists against the wall, clearly in distress.

    “Will?” I uttered softly.

    He turned his head. I could easily spot the frustration in his eyes.

    “Is there something you want to talk about?” I asked.

    “I can’t,” he mumbled. “I can’t talk to anyone.”

    I walked closer to him, folding my arms, now believing there is more than just Elizabeth. “Would this have anything to do with whatever conversation took place between you and Sao Feng just before we left?”

    He sighed. “You saw that.”

    I nodded. “Fortunately for you, I was the only one and I have not told anyone.”

    He turned his whole body to face me. “Thank you, Aurora.”

    “You might as well tell me whatever deal you struck with him,” I said, moving in so we were now only inches apart. “I already know you are likely going to betray us in some manner.”

    He shook his head and repeated, “I can’t.”

    I let out a sigh and said gently, “Look, I have known Bootstrap a long time and know he is a good man. If he were my father I would probably do whatever it takes to save him, too.”

    Will gazed deeply into my eyes, but gave me no verbal response for several lingering moments. Then he gradually leaned his head in closer to mine, and gently kissed me.