Chapter 17 Reunited

Chapter 17

Reunited

Without a word, Jack and I continued rowing as the Kraken made its invasion on the Black Pearl. I do not know why, but I constantly turned my head back at the attack and kept thinking about what Will said earlier on the other ship.

Frustrated with my own thoughts I finally huffed, “Damn it, Turner.”

Jack stopped rowing and looked at me startled. “Why are you cursing Turner?”

I briefly put my hand on my head and let out another irritated sigh. “I don’t know. Before I met him, I would not have thought twice about leaving others behind so I could escape, but now… I can’t really explain it, but he has a way of making me feel this guilt for doing something like that.”

Jack nodded understandingly. “He gets to you, doesn’t he… Will?”

“Yes, he does,” I agreed as I stood up and declared, “I have to go back.”

Just as I prepared to leap off and swim back, Jack held up his compass and said, “Wait!” His eyes stared at it for a few moments before he muttered, “No need to jump, love.”

I did not ask Jack what the compass pointed to but whatever it was caused him the sudden urge to return to the Pearl. Perhaps something he wanted greatly remained on the Black Pearl.

The tentacles of the Kraken flew violently smashing down the ship. The moment we both climbed back on Jack went up the steps towards where Elizabeth had fallen. I was about to follow, but then I saw Will had been knocked down, a tentacle nearly crushing him. I rapidly sprinted down to him, grabbed a sword that had fallen on the ground and swung it at the wet slimy arm. As I knelt down to help Will back up, he pulled me all the way down, throwing him arm over me. At that moment, I heard a blatant boom, as an explosion came out wounding the Kraken. Slowly, its injured tentacles sank back down into the sea.

As Will and I both sat up, he grinned and said, “I knew you would come back.”

“Yeah, I bet you did,” I grumbled, letting out another huff as he helped me up.

“Do you think we killed it?” I heard Gibbs ask.

I walked over towards the rail and sighed. “Trust me, I know the Kraken and its going to take a lot more than that to kill it.”

“What do we do now?” Pintel demanded.

“We need to get as far away from it as possible,” I stated firmly.

I saw Will nod towards me in agreement, but most of the crew only offered blank stares. I looked over to Jack with pleading eyes knowing they would more prone to listen to him rather than me.

“What do you want us to do, Captain,” Gibbs asked again.

Jack’s eyes moved down as he muttered barely above a whisper, “Abandon ship.”

I sighed partially relieved, even though I knew this would be hard for Jack seeing as this ship meant so much to him. Gibbs protested at first, but Jack pointed out in an unconvincing tone that it was only a ship, nothing more.

“We have to go now,” I said making my way towards the lifeboat.

Everyone followed, except Jack, who lingered behind. I figured he must need an extra moment. I just hope he does not take too long. Pintel and Ragetti got in the lifeboat first, and then I followed with Will right behind me. Will, however, hesitated and did not continue until Gibbs started climbing down forcing him on his way. Seeing as young Turner clearly appeared troubled, I looked at him curiously and opened my mouth to say something, but Elizabeth then stumbled down across from him.

Will asked her where Jack was in a distant aloof tone. Elizabeth merely mumbled that he opted to stay behind.

I frowned. That did not really seem like Jack.

“Maybe I should go check on him,” I muttered, standing up.

Elizabeth started to say something, but it was Will who grabbed my arm and said, “No. Jack would want you to get away.”

I glanced back and forth between Will and Elizabeth. Hot tears streamed down Miss Swan’s cheeks but she did not make a sound. Slowly without ease, I seated myself back down beside Will. As we sailed away, all our heads turned, simultaneously as the Kraken made its final attack taking down the Black Pearl. As I watched, I felt as though the boat was no longer under me. I could be just floating in moist air, everything seemed so surreal. At this moment, the only thing my body could feel was an ache in my heart. Jack Sparrow was really gone.

xXx

In silence, we sailed through the waters that led to a wooden cabin stood up above the river. The skies were dark and candles lighted up the home. My body still felt numb, as my mind remained consumed with thoughts of Jack. I did not even notice Will’s hand still rested on my arm until we arrived at our destination.

As we climbed up the latter into the house, a woman awaited us, who called herself Tia Dalma. She graciously welcomed all of us inside her home so we could melt in our sorrows. Everyone either sat or stood apart from each other, even Will and Elizabeth. I seated myself at the rickety wooden table across from Will. I fiddled around with the random items on the table until something caught my eye, a locket. Its appearance was identical to one I have seen before.

“Davy Jones,” I whispered in a hollowed breath.

I then felt a sharp prick on my left index finger. As I turned my head, I saw Tia Dalma put a tiny bottle below collecting a few drops of my blood.

“What was that for?” I demanded, snatching my hand back.

She smiled, eerily, and answered in a vaporous tone, “Just a few drops is all I need for the final ingredients.”

Before I had the chance what these ingredients were for, Tia Dalma had gone back up the steps to a private room. She soon returned with a tray of cups for us. As she came to each of us one by one, everyone took hold of the drink awkwardly while shooting me a sideways glance. I know what they are wondering. Did she mix my blood in these drinks?

“Do you really expect me to drink this?” I asked, lifting up my finger.

She merely chuckled. “Not to worry, deary. Your drops were not wasted to merely to serve us drinks.”

“Then what were they for?” I demanded.

She smiled in a way that made my limbs shudder. “You will see soon enough.”

Everything then returned to silence. Elizabeth was last to be served. I could see the tears still dripping down her cheeks. Will then stood up and asked her if anything could be done to save Jack, while Tia Dalma chimed in, ‘would you do it?’ She then demanded of all of us if we would be willing to travel to world’s end to save Jack.

I stood up, almost instinctively, saying ‘aye,’ just moments after Gibbs.Once everyone was in agreement, Tia Dalma grinned and explained that we will need a captain who knows all the waters.

Grabbing an apple off the table I glanced down and pondered her words. I am not exactly a captain, but having been raised at sea I do know the oceans quite well. As Tia Dalma strolled over closer to me, I momentarily thought by some miracle she would name me captain.

Tia Dalma, however, only smiled and said, “Your drops have served to be most useful, Aurora Barbossa.”

I was just about to take a nervous bite of the apple, but then Jack, the monkey, jumped on my shoulders and snatched it from me. He then scurried towards the stairs where I heard footsteps slowly stepping down from. I walked over to see who it was. The very moment my eyes fell on the man, I drew in a sharp breath as my body begin to shiver in both shock and fury. The anger emerged as I watched him take a bite of my apple. That man was Hector Barbossa, my father.