Chapter 14 New Plan

Chapter 14

New Plan

My heart pounded heavily not knowing what to expect as I come aboard the Black Pearl to seek Jack. He must be so angry with me, or perhaps he does not even care. I may not even mean much to him, just a tool leading him to become ruler of the seas. After all, to me, he was a tool to my own freedom, or at least that’s all I tried to think of him as.

I found him below deck, alone drinking a bottle of what I assumed to be rum. As his eyes came to mine, I get not receive much reaction, no anger, bitterness or even surprise.

“I half assumed you may be showing up soon,” Jack spoke casually, as he stood up and edged closer to me.

“I just wanted to say I didn’t have a choice in deceiving you,” I mumbled my eyes pointed downward.

“I thought you might. You are a pirate after all,” Jack pointed out, holding up an apple he pulled from his coat pocket. “Not to mention you are your father’s daughter.”

I snatched the apple, taking a frustrated bite. “I didn’t want to betray you, unlike Barbossa. The only thing I could do to save my own skin was find a way to get you on the Dutchman myself, and it appears you already saw that coming since you sent the boy instead.”

“Always thinking what’s best for you, just as a pirate should,” he stated as he began to circle around me. He then turned back to face me, motioning his hand holding the bottle towards me. “Actually, you didn’t lie to me about the key. It is in fact somewhere on the ship in which you linger.”

“You mean it is on the Dutchman?” I asked, stupefied. “How can you be sure?”

Jack looked upward proudly. “I have alternate sources of information aside from you, my dear.” He then gently ran his fingers through my hair. “Now, it is your burden to bring me the key.”

“How am I supposed to find the key?” I demanded, crossing my arms.

His hand moved to tilt my chin up. “Use the boy.”

I backed away from him, just a foot, raising my eyebrow. “The boy? You want me to use him to find the key?”

He smiled, speaking rather proudly. “Just wait until you get to know Will Turner. He’s good at finding things, Will. He found me after all when I was on that island. He’ll find you the key and when he does, it is up to you to get it from him and bring it to me. I was going to rely on him to bring me the key directly, but I don’t think he will, since, uh, well…”

“Since you sold him out to Davy Jones so you could escape,” I finished for him.

“Yes.” He waved his hand and took another gulp of rum. “That.”

“And now you want me to use him to get the key and bring it to you,” I concluded.

Jack nodded. “Precisely!”

“And once you find the heart of Davy Jones you will be sure to grant me my freedom, right?” I affirmed, folding my arms, and when I got no answer I persisted, “Jack, you promised remember? Can I trust you?”

Jack frowned. “Might I remind you that you were the one that resorted to betrayal while I remained true to my word.”

I sighed, taking another bite of the apple. He did have a point there.

“Alright,” I consented in a frustrated tone. “I’ll use the boy to bring you the bloody key.”

xXx

On my return to the Dutchman, feelings of doubt still lingered. I honestly don’t know if I want to go through with this. Can I trust Jack to keep his end of the bargain or will I still be trapped here even if he holds the heart? And what of Will Turner? I wonder if Jack did intentionally sell his soul to the ship just for the sake of finding the key. With Jack, I can never tell if he plans out anything or just wings it.