Chapter 10 Nightmares

Chapter 10

Nightmares

“I promised you I would come back, Aurora,” Mama spoke, grasping my hands, firmly. “Come, I am going to take you away from this devil’s cursed ship.”

I followed her down the hall of the Dutchman that led to the open, though she seemed so far away now. I could barely make out her face. She appeared as a shadow.

“Hurry, Aurora,” Mama urged. “Before Davy Jones discovers us.”

“I’m coming.”

I could not catch up to her. The deck seemed to have stretched out more than three times its normal size. I ran with all my might but did not seem to get any closer.

Meanwhile, Mama stood on the rail, her head facing me. “Come, Aurora! We have almost escaped.”

“I can’t,” I panted, halting. “It’s too late.”

“Yes, you can, my daughter,” Mama persisted. “Just try to…”

But before she could finish, the Kraken’s tentacles sprung out from the water, snatching Mama off her feet. I helplessly gaped in shock, my feet frozen to the ground. Mama’s screams filled the air as she was then thrust underwater, forever gone.

“NO!” I wailed. “Mama, please come back!”

“Mama!”

“Aurora.” I felt a gentle tug accompanied by a man’s voice.

I slowly opened my eyes to find myself on my normal hammock in my own room on the ship. “Bootstrap?”

“You were having a nightmare,” he explained gently.

“I have not had a dream like that in a long time,” I muttered.

“Do you want to tell me about it,” Bootstrap asked in a comforting tone.

I shook my head, pushing my emotions to the back of my mind. “No. It was only a dream. Nothing more.”

He gazed downward, with a tangled expression on his face.

“What is it, Bootstrap?” I demanded, as I rose to my feet.

“Word has it that Jack Sparrow reclaimed the Black Pearl.”

“He did?” I gasped tensely, and then muttered. “It worked.”

Bootstrap, not missing that, raised his eyebrow. “So it appears you did have something to do with this. Is that the real reason you wanted to know where my son was?”

“I knew his blood would work,” I stated proudly, but then turned my to Bootstraps torn face. “What? They didn’t kill him, did they? They only needed his blood.”

He shook his head, looking deeply into my eyes. “It’s your father. From what I heard, Jack shot him during their battle.” He paused to inhale deeply. “He’s dead, Aurora.”

I took in a breath that seemed to stab my throat as it went down. So many thoughts seemed to flood my mind at once. I do not know exactly what I am feeling right now.

“Aurora?” Bootstrap inquired on me with concern. “Are you alright? I mean, despite everything, he was your father after all.”

I rubbed my lightly watering eyes, willing my emotions away. “I barely knew him. Besides, he deserved what he got.” I turned to look at him sharply. “Wouldn’t you agree, considering what he did to you?”