Chapter 16 Escape

Chapter 16

Escape

We snuck off the Dutchman just as it arrived close enough to the island. As we swam up to the beach, a ship with black sails caught my eye.

“The Pearl,” I said aloud.

“Jack must already be here,” Will commented with a hint of bitterness.

Sure enough, there was Jack Sparrow, accompanied a girl I assumed to be Elizabeth and another man I did not recognize. The very moment Elizabeth’s eyes met Will’s she rushed over to him, embracing him. I strolled over to Jack, who did indeed look confused yet pleased to see me.

“How did you two manage to get here?” Jack asked eying both Will and me.

I opened my mouth but Will answered first, “Sea turtles, mate.”

Will then thanked Jack even though he betrayed him he had the opportunity to reunite with his father. This set Elizabeth off as she accused Jack of being a liar. I rolled my eyes, unsurprised by whatever deceit Jack has made, but then recalled my real purpose of being here.

I casually strolled over to Jack, putting one arm around his neck. Before my other arm went along, I briefly motioned to Will behind my back to go ahead and open the chest while Jack was distracted. I leaned in closer to him and just as my lips were about to touch his, Jack’s eyes momentarily darted at Will and he shoved me away, thrusting his sword out at young Turner.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Jack demanded.

“I’m going to stab the heart and kill Davy Jones,” Will answered through gritted teeth.

Jack continued to point the sword at him. “I can’t let you do that.”

“Jack, wait,” I interjected, placing my hand on his arm with the weapon.

Jack turned his head furiously to me. “And you! You were supposed to just bring me the key, not the boy to go with the key!”

I backed away a couple steps. “I changed my mind. I like his plan better.”

“What was wrong with my plan?” Jack demanded.

I placed my hands on my hips. “Because with your plan I might or might not gain my freedom, but with his I definitely will. I think you would do best to just go along with it.”

Jack raised his eyebrow. “And give up the opportune moment for me to become ruler of the seven seas?”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh, please. You can’t even handle being captain of the Black Pearl without a mutiny rising against you. How do you expect to rule the seven seas?”

He shrugged and looked into my eyes. “I thought I might have some support with that.”