Chapter 11 The Heart That Rules the Seas

Chapter 11

The Heart That Rules the Seas

“Well, I was wondering when I’d be seeing see again,” Jack Sparrow commented as I appeared before him on the deck of the Black Pearl.

We stood alone on deck, the full moon shining down on us.

Jack continued, “I’m so sorry to inform you, Miss, but your father is dead.”

“Such a shame,” I replied calmly, grateful that this is not the first time this news had befallen upon my ears. “I see you successfully reclaimed the Pearl.”

“Yes, and I assume you got what you wanted out of this,” Jack stated as he pulled out a bottle of rum from his coat.

I raised my eyebrow unsure of where he was going with this. “If you mean the fact that you are now the captain, then yes, it is a start of what I want.”

“Really? I assumed you wanted revenge on your father for condemning you to a cursed pirate ship.” Jack waved his hand up in the air as he continued, “Though you should know, I don’t recall Barbossa ever making such a deal with Davy Jones.”

“It doesn’t mean that it wasn’t what he wanted,” I muttered bitterly.

He strolled over to me, drunkenly. “Are you certain? Because to me, he seemed perfectly content with the position he had before he met your mother. It seems she…”

“Don’t talk about my mother,” I warned in a dangerous tone.

He put both his hands up. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you. I am truly grateful for your advice. It is a shame though that even though your father is no longer captain, you are still bound to the Dutchman.”

I sighed. “I did not really expect that to make a difference.”

“Then why did you do it?” Jack wondered aloud.

I opened my mouth but could not find the words. Why did I want Jack to become captain? Revenge? Desire for freedom? Perhaps both. It seems now I have gained nothing, at least not yet.

I decided to ignore the question, instead reminding him, “The time will soon come when you will have to pay your debt the Davy Jones.”

He shook his head. “I think not. Jones promised to make me captain for thirteen years. So far, I have only had three.”

“I know Jones. Believe me, that won’t matter to him.”

He reached his hand out to me, brushing his fingers through my hair. “Perhaps you can convince him to prolong my deal.”

I grabbed his hand, though gently. “Trust me, that will definitely not work.”

He pulled away. “Then tell me, love, what was the point is my becoming of captain?”