Chapter 22 Return to the Dutchman

Chapter 22

Return to the Dutchman

    I awoke in the same place where I last spoke with Barbossa below deck, the bottle nowhere to be found. He must have taken it away after I passed out. I sat up with my hand on my head trying to think of what to do next. I had the feeling there would be a great battle with Lord Becket. That is, if everyone in the Brethren Court agrees, and even if they did that would not be enough against Becket as long as he had control over the Dutchman. There was one thing I could try, but the problem remains I may not have the guts to go through with it.

    I walked up the steps leading to the front deck thinking it would be morning, but once I got out in the open I realized it was indeed nighttime. Most of the crew had fallen asleep, scattered about the ship.

    "It is good to see you up and about," a voice came from my side as I walked up to the front deck.

    I turned my head to see Jack, harboring the wheel.

    "Is everyone else asleep?" I asked.

    Jack nodded, looking at me with caution. "I do not suppose your loyalties might have be altered due to recent events?"

    I folded my arms, raising my eyebrow. "You mean because my mother is married to Becket?" I shook my head. "No, if anything, I feel even more strongly that the heart must be away from Lord Becket."

    "Oh, good." Jack waved his arms up and walked over to me.

    I eyed the now vacant steering wheel. "Jack, the wheel."

    "Not to worry." He shrugged and then placed his hands on my shoulders. "Now, you and I need to develop our own little deposition, or plan if you will, on how we can achieve the heart from that monstrous, vile, man."

    I looked up into his eyes. "What exactly did you have in mind?"

    Jack put his finger on his chin. "Well, I cannot leave this ship, or Barbossa will take over as captain and we cannot allow for that to happen."

    "No, we cannot," I agreed aloud, even though that aspect did not bother me as much as it use to. I then looked downward and thought for a moment before suggesting, "Let me go."

    He placed his other hand back on my shoulder, looking concerned. "Are you sure?"

    I nodded with confidence. "Yes, I know the Dutchman like the back of my hand. It should not take me too long to relocate both the key and the chest. That way, soon, Lord Becket will no longer have control over the seas and every pirate would not have to live in fear any more."

    "It might be dangerous," Jack muttered avoiding my eyes.

    I put my hand on the side of his arm and assured, "I will be fine. You know I always survive."

    Before I could stop myself, I leaned upward and kissed him. As he returned my affection, the passion went on for a few moments before I pulled away.

    "I will be back soon, Ruler of the Seven Seas." I gently patted his cheek and turned away.

    "How will you find the Dutchman?" Jack called out from behind me.

    I heard a splash and saw a faint shallow from around the corner, and grinned. "I think some way will come." I turned back my head to him and added, "Stay by the wheel, Captain."

    I walked around towards where I spotted the shadow and found Will apparently throwing barrels, with bodies tied to them, over into the water.